SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece cases - how much cushion do I need?

Here is a random question that only a beginner like  would ask…

I want to buy one of those waterproof foam-lined cases for hold my eyepieces. How much depth/clearance do I need above and below my eyepieces? How much depth do I need to go for in terms of interior dimensions?

My largest diameter eyepiece is around 60mm. For the interior dimensions, one eyepiece case that I am looking at (Nanuk 910) lists the depth at 100mm. Another one (Nanuk 915) lists the depth as 150mm. Is it safe to go for the one with only 100mm depth if my largest eyepiece is 60mm? Or is that not enough cushion on both sides. I prefer to go with the smallest case possible that still holds the EPs safely

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd say that 100mm interior depth should be ok if your largest eyepiece is 60mm diameter, gives you 20mm of foam above and below.

Unless it's going to be chucked around in an aircraft hold, then I'd go for the 150mm interior depth.

Regards, Ed.

My EP case has 140mm inne depth, and my biggest EP skywatcher 40mm aero has diameter 62mm, I find my case of about right depth, therefore I think 150mm one might be a better choice, and it's also a bit more future proof in case you want to go for those big premium 82 or 100 degree ultra wide field EPs.

Thanks for the advice – sounds like a could probably get away with the 100mm depth, but come to think of it, the 150mm would give me the option of placing some eyepieces in the case vertically – which would free up room for more eyepieces later. It probably safer to assume that eyepiece collections, like waistlines, tend to get bigger over time…

All my eyepiece cases are 130mm deep. The larger 2" pieces get placed horizontally. Some of the 1.25" ones are stored vertically cos they're shorter. I find the Maplins "rugged" cases with pick 'n' pluck foam very effective and they often come up on special offer for £20 or £25. I have a small dessicant "tea-bag" in each one. Something with those dimensions would be very suitable. Hth :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rugged-case-with-foam-interior-n78gg

(My largest eyepiece diameters are around 60mm)

Archived