SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

need advise

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a small spotter scope attached? Try finding an object like a telegraph pole in the finder then using a 20mm eyepiece look through the main scope ( remember this view will most likely be inverted so you have to move the scope in the opposite direction to your instinct ). You may have to adjust the finder scope screws so that the same part of the telegraph pole is showing in your finder scope cross hairs.

Sounds like you are getting a view of the clouds by moving the scope the wrong direction. Easy done.

I don't know what eyepiece you used - 25mm? - but try a higher mag eyepiece like a 10mm and see if that helps. With the 10mm EP you are getting 90X magnification. I think that you also get a 2X Barlow lens with that kit and, if you use that with the 10mm, you get 180X magnification BUT the seeing will need to be good to get the best out of it.

Make sure you are centered on Jupiter before upping the magnification.

Peter

Well done!, you're getting there, it just takes a bit of practice. Jupiter's cloud belts do look blackish rather than coloured, the colour shows best with photography as the camera is more sensitive to colour at night.  :smiley:

Well you could try a higher mag eyepiece like a 5mm which would double the mag that you get with the 10mm BUT the seeing would need to be really good for you to get a good view. I think that you might be disappointed because I doubt that you could get into good focus. You are limited by the size of the telescope as to how much detail you can see. Also the seeing in the UK is normally not very good.

Good luck.

Peter

I assume you mean Jupiters bands, if not we really have trouble. :grin: :grin:

Jupiter is bright and if you use the 25mm eyepiece the image will be small and simply too much light in a small image means a small white disk - it just gets swamped.

The 10mm should be better in that it supplies a bigger image, but in general the supplied 10mm is not good. So you can still end up with a poorly defined image.

The 130P should take a reasonable 5mm without trouble, giving you 130x, Jupiter is OK at 80x so an eyepiece in the 5mm to 8mm area should deliver decent views of Jupiter.

Plossl's may not be great in the 130P, and at the focal lengths mentioned they have little eye relief, and they can be questionable on an f/5 scope.

I am afraid that getting a scope is simply the start of this hobby.

I would hang on to the 10mm and the barlow cos they might come in useful for other objects - even if they are the supplied one's which are usually just enough to get you going. With an f5 scope a half decent 5mm will help a lot with Jupiter - I'd budget around £50+ for a brand new one, or maybe £40-£45 second hand.

But you need to know what you're looking for with eyepieces - not only are they very varied and numerous, but they are also highly personal and what suits someone else might not suit you. It would be a good idea to try get along to an observing session with your local astro soc. Most folks will lend you an eye piece to try out in your scope so you can be sure of what you want to get. Hth :)

Archived