Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Kit Slump

Skyline

I was browsing some astronomy sites the other day looking for some kit. AstroBuySell is one of them. Is there a slump at the moment for buying second hand astro gear.

There's some good stuff listed, buy no one is buying it, Not that I can afford it. I am just wandering is there a down turn at the moment are people just saving up for their Summer Holidays?

Al.

It could be the other way around, the dark winter skies have gone and people may be reducing the equipment they have. So not necessarily less demand just a greater supply.

With the poor viewing weather we have had and the lighter nights I could see that occuring.

That's because we don't get clear skies anymore.  Completely useless.  I am seriously on the verge of giving up.  Two years of utter rubbish weather.

Yep, two years...basically as long as I have been doing this...that is why I only use "standard" daytime camera kit and have a simple mount, all of which goes with me on holiday.

At least it can't get worse...however it can just stay like this forever.

Like others have said...it is the best time to buy and the worst time to sell.

• 4 weeks later...

That's because we don't get clear skies anymore.  Completely useless.  I am seriously on the verge of giving up.  Two years of utter rubbish weather.

And all of that kit you have bought as well !!

Don't do it!  Clear skies are rare but I find they are special when they come, and the last few years have been distorted by that monsoon summer we had.

Why not wait and see what things are like till this winter?  You may also get an easier sale if that's what you still want.

mmm, Im seriously thinking about jacking it all in... We had some nice weather for a few days but everything is going to crud.

Lets see how the rest of the year pans out.

Al.

Although I'm not packing in I'm seriously wondering about the wisdom of buying high-end kit in the UK.

I may stump up for a cooled CCD cam and filters, but that's mainly because I see NB as the best way of fighting LP and still being able to image when the moon's in the sky.

But the £25k astrographic setup I was planning from my down size? Dunno, really.....

• 4 months later...

I had (still have) my scope on ABS and haven't even had a nibble, except from someone who wanted to break it into parts (he wanted the drive system but nothing else). Have now put on a 10 day auction on ebay, and it's got 32 watchers and a few bids, but not exactly a stellar performance thus far! Things do seem be hanging around on ABS longer than they used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last couple of years have been bad throughout Europe, though if you are far enough south they haven't been that bad, just below par. My approach has been to speed up the kit I have available so that I can, for instance, pull in 12 hours of data on June 21st, the shortest night of the year, if it's clear. I just run three rigs, two in parallel on the same mount, one entirely separate. Others on SGL are taking the same approach.

One friend, no longer on here, has taken the wise decision to use an array of moderately priced scopes on a big mount to work at high speed. Yes, you could also buy a single super fast astrograph for the same price but the downside is that you may spend your precious clear nights trying to get it in focus, collimated and tilt-free. Superfast optics, whoever makes them, do not 'just work.'

Don't despair. The Universe is still out there!

Olly

Archived