Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Names

For a few months now I have been slowly trying to memorise the names and locations of all the named stars in the northern hemisphere.

I've mainly used Stellarium to learn the constellations but often it doesn't list a star's name (just the greek letter) while other books or websites show that star as having a name. So that makea things harder. And it's not just Stellarium, but even reading books and websites, different sources sometimes show a star as named, or not named. So I am constantly thinking I have learned all the named stars in a constellation, and then I find something which mentions a new star name I've never seen elsewhere... it all gets very confusing!

I know that there are many different cultures and name for stars, but I was wondering if there Is a definitive catalogue of constellations and standard western star names which I can refer to...or is it just a case of having to look at different sources to build up knowledge of all the named stars?

I have the Three volumes of "Burnhams celestial handbook" they are an absolute wealth of information and basically break down each constellation. They really are a lovely thing to have. Not sure what they cost now, but have a search around, im sure someone will be selling them cheap. As mentioned there are 3 volumes, each quite thick, but if you are getting into that area of knowledge then id highly recommend them, they are classed as a bible on the subject.

Just did a look at amazon, they sell them and you can have a look inside http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestial-Handbook-Observers-Universe-Astronomy/dp/048623567X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398203015&sr=8-1&keywords=burnhams+celestial+handbook

Those books look well worth the money. Duly noted.

One free program I also use is HNSKY (the full version) you don't have to use it for telescope control.

Takes a bit of getting used to but good detail.

Rich

Archived