Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the planets

Jupiter and Mar as soon as it gets dark depending on your horizons, Saturn a little later, maybe from Midnight, again depending on horizons. Saturn is very low and about a couple of hours or so behind Mars on the ecliptic.

At the moment.......

Jupiter - best views will be as soon as twilight starts - around 8pm in the West

Mars - 9pm onwards in the South

Saturn - Midnight onwards in the South East

These times change with the date so you are best downloading Stellarium (it's free) to assist you.

They'll all be in the sky around midnight, right now - I was out last Friday and saw all three, although the seeing was sporadic at best. Saturn rises the latest - probably best to wait until midnight. Sadly it's not getting very high at the moment because it's lurking in Libra. It'll be very low for a number of years from the UK :sad: . This year is probably your last chance to get it at any useful elevation!

DD

I'm looking to arrange a few dates in May with friends to go to my dark place up the hill with the number one focus being Saturn.   A small star gazers party I guess.  

Qs:  Here in mid south England (that's Hampshire between Newbury and Basingstoke) am I right in thinking towards the end of the month will have less moon issues?

I'm fairly sure that's right but inviting total beginners (and baring in mind I'm a beginner myself) I don't want to screw it up so any guidance welcome.

Also we'll have all 3 of my scopes there so is there any other easy targets say 23rd May or there abouts?

Cheers for any help.

ps.  OP hope this is ok and not a high jack.  Not meant to be.

I'm looking to arrange a few dates in May with friends to go to my dark place up the hill with the number one focus being Saturn.   A small star gazers party I guess.  

Qs:  Here in mid south England (that's Hampshire between Newbury and Basingstoke) am I right in thinking towards the end of the month will have less moon issues?

I'm fairly sure that's right but inviting total beginners (and baring in mind I'm a beginner myself) I don't want to screw it up so any guidance welcome.

Also we'll have all 3 of my scopes there so is there any other easy targets say 23rd May or there abouts?

Cheers for any help.

ps.  OP hope this is ok and not a high jack.  Not meant to be.

You are correct - no Moon issues around midnight at the end of the month.

For other targets try downloading Stellarium - it's free.....

Many tx dweller for the confirmation.

Certainly already have stellarium but find it can lead to optimism especially with DSOs which in the field proves unfounded.  That said if we get Saturn and Mars and perhaps a cluster I'll be well pleased for a first attempt with extra bods  :laugh:

Archived