Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

virgo galaxies

jason.p

Is the best way to get into the Virgo galaxy cluster generally considered to be by way of Vindemiatrix? It looks fairly complicated around there and obviously needs to be approached in an "orderly fashion!"

Jason if I want to view M98, M99, M100 and the galaxies of the Markarian Chain I start at Denebola then pick up star number 6 in Coma Berenices and go from there. If I want M58, M59 and M60 etc I start from Vindemiatrix and go to star (30) Rho in Virgo and go from there.

Hi Jason, Vindematrix is a good start point, but for me I just dive in, using Denebola (Leo) as my guide and usually highlight on M87 to start with.  Trying to identify them is the next problem, you need a lot of patience to trace them on a map and a lot of time at the eyepiece, I find the map in the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas the best one for this (Map C at the back of the book), still very difficult though.

Hi Jason, Vindematrix is a good start point, but for me I just dive in, using Denebola (Leo) as my guide and usually highlight on M87 to start with.  Trying to identify them is the next problem, you need a lot of patience to trace them on a map and a lot of time at the eyepiece, I find the map in the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas the best one for this (Map C at the back of the book), still very difficult though.

Thanks Robin. Looking at S&T pocket atlas, M87 seems right in the thick of things. Does it stand out in that crowd for easier identification?

Last year I tried going in from Vindemiatrix, got what I'm fairly sure was M60 and quickly became confused. I quite like the idea of jumping in and ?? using the chain as a signpost. As you say, a lot of homework is required!

Thanks Robin. Looking at S&T pocket atlas, M87 seems right in the thick of things. Does it stand out in that crowd for easier identification?

Last year I tried going in from Vindemiatrix, got what I'm fairly sure was M60 and quickly became confused. I quite like the idea of jumping in and ?? using the chain as a signpost. As you say, a lot of homework is required!

Hi Jason, yes, M87 stands out as it is the largest elliptical galaxy, it is easy for me to find, it looks like a globular to start with but it is, in fact, a galaxy and right slap bang in the middle of all the action, so to speak.

If you draw an imaginary line between Denebola and Virgo epsilon (top of Virgo) then aim your scope exactly half way, then you are right in the middle of things. (M86/m84) M87 is just to the east of these. It will be in the same FOV if you use low power. M87 doeas stand out as larger/brighter than the others- can be seen with a good set of binos on clear night.

Hope that helps

I found TL@O very useful for navigating this bit of sky. In London it was mainly the Messiers that showed up, but under dark skies there are a whole load more galaxies. It doesn't direct you to all the galaxies up there though, which is annoying. Must try the Denebola route to pick up some of the Coma ones, but that might have to wait until next year!

DD

I would say that you need to get experience in with your scope and an atlas like the free taki ones.

Then when you are in Virgo you can use your tried and tested star hoping methods and despite the volume of galaxies you will still not get lost.

I must say that the markurian chain of galaxies are my favourite bit of Virgo!

Mark

Still haven't had a chance to have a go for these due to a combination of weather and not feeling too good.

Still, I expect they'll still be there next year!

Thanks for the advice.

I would say that you need to get experience in with your scope and an atlas like the free taki ones.

Then when you are in Virgo you can use your tried and tested star hoping methods and despite the volume of galaxies you will still not get lost.

I must say that the markurian chain of galaxies are my favourite bit of Virgo!

Mark

Virgo is so full of galaxies, it is the one area where galaxy hopping is as useful as star hopping, at least that is what I ended up doing one time  :grin:  The weather has been such I've not been able to really get stuck into this area either with a good sky. You are not alone Jason, but they'll not run away anytime soon, all in good time. :smiley:

Still haven't had a chance to have a go for these due to a combination of weather and not feeling too good.

Still, I expect they'll still be there next year!

Thanks for the advice.

Or if you are impatient, the hour or so before dawn around Christmas-time.

I prefer Vindemiatrix as a starter for ten and head toward M60, M59 and M58. You can pick up NGC 4596 on the way. It is right next to Rho Virginis, mag. 10 with a decent surface brightness.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived