Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10MM Delos or 11MM Nagler or 24/27mm pan

Daniel-K

I have a dilemma on which EP to buy next, I was only saying the other day I would like a full set of Delos EP'S but ive been told I need more than 70deg on high power for globs, which is what I would be buying the EP for. currently I only have a 17.3mm delos and a 14mm delos. I don't use high power that much and I am missing the 24mm low power finder EP as finding object with the 17mm is a bit time consuming so do I another 24/27 panoptic instead. pretty stuck here as I can only afford one :p 

Dan

Not sure I get the need for more than 70 degrees for globs Dan.

Is your scope f4.5? 1600mm focal length? These images show the 10mm Delos and 13mm Ethos assuming those specs. Looks like 10mm would be fine? Amazing even!

2esapa2u.jpg

qe8ahuma.jpg

enuzu3ej.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I do think globs benefit from higher power than you might think (I now view them closer up than I used to), I find 72 degrees enough for me. I'd go Delos, a stonking EP as you know :)

Edit: the only thing that might tempt me for globs over the Delos would be an Ethos :evil: Although I am happy enough with the 72 degrees, I imagine it is fun to up the mag a little bit more and to flood a huge 100 degrees field of view with the glob stars. But given the price, I am happy enough with the Delos and 72 degrees. Just hope TV don't do a 20% off sale on the Ethos!

I think FoV is just a person preference, you dont need more than 70˚ to view any object. Some people like ultra wide angles and some dont, a 82˚ EP will stay in the FoV longer but its so wide that you dont see the whole object at once and you have to peer around the corners to make full use of that 82˚.

I know you've said you dont like barlows but I was using a TV barlow with both my 17.3mm (x218) and 14mm Delos (x340) on M53 the other night, for me a 10mm or 11mm still would have enough magnification.

stu where did you get that from?

Dan, they are screen grabs from SkySafari 4 Pro on iOS. If you didn't know, the power button down then quickly pressing the navigation button below the screen takes an image of the screen and puts it in your camera roll. You can enter your kit and it puts up fov circles showing what you would see.

Globs do vary in size. A 10mm Ethos would be nice but not necessary I don't think, the Delos would be fine and with better eye relief.

M53 is smaller so perhaps a higher mag would be better, 7mm XW for instance?

7e6ugyse.jpg

ata4e5e6.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my 13mm, 8mm and 6mm Ethos for globlar clusters and the views are stunning with my 12" dob :grin:

Of course you don't need 100 degrees, or even 70 really. The Vixen SWV 12mm and 6mm that I have on loan from FLO deliver excellent views of these objects too although their 50 degree fields require me to be more on the ball with nudging.

There is something about seeing a fully resolved globular floating against a wide swath of stars that is intoxicating though  :smiley:

Of the ones you mention though I'd probably go for the 10mm Delos for globulars and compact DSO's. 

Of course, if you had a 17mm Ethos you would not need the 24mm Panoptic  :p

But you would have a larger hole in your bank balance .....

dan you should of tried my 6mm delos in your scope, thats the ep you was looking through when you viewed m13 and the ring and said it was the best you had ever seen, but i think below 6mm 70* a nagler or ethos would be better, or get a power mate for your 17mm

I more often than not use my 8mm and 10mm Radians if you want to complicate matters further! this goes back to the perennial question 'what's the best eyepiece for X?' and my perennial answer 'the one in your case that fits the object in the field and allows all the available detail to be seen for the conditions, aperture and object'.

.... this goes back to the perennial question 'what's the best eyepiece for X?' and my perennial answer 'the one in your case that fits the object in the field and allows all the available detail to be seen for the conditions, aperture and object'.

My answer is that it's the one that shows you things the way you enjoy seeing them the most.

In reality all the eyepieces discussed here will present really excellent views. The questions then are individual ones such as how much sky do I like to see, how much eye relief do I prefer and how much am I prepared to pay ?

Actually, in pure optical performance terms, the Baader Classic 10mm ortho would be the best of all probably. Just shy of 50 quid too  :smiley:

72 degrees I plenty in itself  unless you have a scope very big aperture so the exit pupil becomes larger,  and you need to push up the FOV to compensate to fit in objects as the only option. You always have that option to play around with exit pupil a bit as a trade off with FOV to define the size of your field in picking your eyepiece. Globulars being bright it is not as if you are getting close to detecting faint objects were exit pupil will be a more important/critical in some cases IMO.

I like a balance between framing and having a bit of sky around and enough to nudge but not too often.  In fact Friday night I spent a good hour on just M3.  The mags I used in the 1200 focal length 10 inch  were

114x pentax XL, lovely bright views, still enough to resolve the core, pin sharp stars.

171x pentax XW 7mm showed plenty of sky to spare, lovely views, best eyepiece for extra faint stars  surrounding it.

TV Radian 200x . For me this was the sweet spot, not too encroaching, and the most immersive for me ( Sorry mr Nagler, I  am not one the majesty factor as a measure of immersion :grin:  )   a bit of surrounding sky but enough, not having to nudge that often. Like  portrait photo in the sense that the face fits in and fills the right amount of the FOV.

BGO 240x, nice for the core but some darkening as well due to high mag, too small a FOV, too much nudging, still worth a look though.

So this is purely personal preference for me with the Radian being the winner for the most pleasing views, but any eyepiece that resolves the core well  is very pleasant to look through on globs, I find personally for me.

I not often used the pentax XL for globs, and it was nice to do so, surprisingly nice to the point that I made a note I will also be using that a bit more on globs even if they are smaller, but still so well resolved in a nice juxtaposition of stars. A good dark sky will show more spread as well around the core, so I would probably adjust to the lower mags.

M13 and M22  being biggest candidates being the biggest ones this side of the globe , but I still have enough options to fit those easily. 

For your 14 inch Dob Dan, just setup the FOV viewer in stellarium with some eyepieces and have a play, that will give you a  fair idea if you do not have one of those commercial packages to see how much is going to fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_KnCxm98eI

My answer is that it's the one that shows you things the way you enjoy seeing them the most.

In reality all the eyepieces discussed here will present really excellent views. The questions then are individual ones such as how much sky do I like to see, how much eye relief do I prefer and how much am I prepared to pay ?

Actually, in pure optical performance terms, the Baader Classic 10mm ortho would be the best of all probably. Just shy of 50 quid too  :smiley:

I find it hard to get on with the orthos having being used to the long ER of the ES & TV.  I have very long eyelash's and find they keep my away from the glass as it tickles when the touch the EP. ive got 2 weeks to decide, that's when MRS-K said I was allowed to get one :)

I find it hard to get on with the orthos having being used to the long ER of the ES & TV.  I have very long eyelash's and find they keep my away from the glass as it tickles when the touch the EP. ive got 2 weeks to decide, that's when MRS-K said I was allowed to get one :)

I know what you mean - orthos can be hard work and I find I need to be in the right mood for them  :smiley:

orthos  can become a bit encroaching at times, I recall using it with a 2x barlow on the moon one time for 480x, just enough to give you a few seconds to focus on what you want to see, but that's about it.  Even going from say 40 to 60 degrees is huge difference for me ( again personal )  since the drift time will be proportional to FOV for the same mag, more or less, so it makes a big difference to how relaxing it is, even a 10 seconds drift compared to  15 - 20 may not seem like much, but it seems to me that way in practice.

Using the pentax XW 7 recently feels like such a nice luxury. It feels like I have enough time to make a cuppa in between nudges :grin:

If your going to observe globs you'll want more than a 10 or 11mm mate.

I'd not pick any eyepiece over an ethos for focal lengths under 12mm. Reason....I Powermate my eyepieces. Powermated a 10mm Delos is not wide enough IMO. My 12mm T4 is as narrow as I'd go with a Powermate 70deg for me wouldn't be wide enough at this sort of power.

You'll see exactly what I mean in a few days mate.

Archived