Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brace youself ! The edge of incredibility...

impactcrater

I had just informed my wife that a friend was coming over to look through my scope whens she said something ..well ....there is no word for it !  NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO LOOK DOWN A TELESCOPE !!??

You may have just as well told me 'Titan doesn't have swimming pools and resorts ,  Europa doesn't have fish in its seas , there are no footprints on the Moon , Pizza is not served on Io , Beagle 2 didn't score an own goal or Time is not a'changin' '

Can you believe it !!

Hmmm... think I would've replied with something like - "Well darling not everyone wants to wear lipstick.... or..... Not everyone wants to go shoe shopping..." lol. :grin:

Then I'd find a really attractive curvy female friend who's up for playing a prank, and tell your wife one of your buddies is coming round for an overnight observing session in the back yard. I'll bet there's a sudden and massive change in your wife's interest, she won't sleep a wink hahaha! :grin:

Shocking!! Cover the whole incident up before the astro police start asking questions.

Pizza on Io?.......come on now, that's pushing it a bit...

Barry

Hmmm maybe Pizza is pushing it a bit... but with all the sulphur there is up there, you could make some incredibly cheap wines!! :D

count yourself lucky mate..One astronomer in the family will keep you on the breadline...two..well that doesn't bare thinking ;). Oh, where in Sydney are you? I'm from loftus (nr Sutherland) origionally.

The Great Astronomer was domonstrating his skills  of the Heavens to his friend and said : "There's Saturn" and GT'd to it. The scope was peering at something off the mark in my celestial opinion....and then it hit me ! What I had wisely pointed out as Saturn was in fact Mars !!!  I quickly redeemed myself by showing him the Canaliculli and Curiosity at the BP pump....but it was a aMoment of Redness rivalling Mars himself.

And in a blink of meanwhileness my wife had made one of The Great Discoveries of Astrological History....but that , my friends is a tale for another Time.

PS-GT aka GoTo

We once had a barbecue with colleagues and a few PhD students. When the stars came out I set up the scope, and showed people Saturn and Jupiter, and various other objects. Everybody gathered round for a look, except for one female PhD student. When I asked her whether she would like to see the planets she said "NO!!" as if I had made an indecent proposal. Really weird. I have never ever encountered such a response before or since. My wife rarely comes to have a look (even when the kids are bouncing around the garden saying "COOL!! COOL!! COOL!!"), but then I do not go shoe shopping with her.

Archived