SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 (Wish I had known before ordering) Bendy subject.

Hi guys just purchased a EQ6 and I really do wish I had known this before ordering. I still have no received the product ordered it on Friday, so maybe still got a chance to cancel if need be depends on the response but I'm finding it difficult to understand what effect these bendy bolts have on the performance and function of the mount. I understand some people have just replaced the bolts (Astro-Baby) and some other may have spent over a couple hundred pounds on a fix from modern astronomy. I have read the replacement bolts can bend also? Im not sure how the bolts end up bending and what effect this has.. and I have read Skywatcher knows this and its intentional something todo with keeping the threads. 

Im trying my best to understand this but as a newbie its all fairly much specially reading 8pages on one thread can all be a bit to much with conflicting comments. Id just like to understand what effect it has one the mount. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just order yourself a set of bolts, got mine from 365Astronomy.

Part of the problem is people load the mount up, then decide to adjust the setting by turning the bolt(s).

By the time you get weather to observe with a new set of bolts will have arrived.

If you approach the Alt adjustment sensibly there is nothing to be concerned about. I've had my mount 7 years and they are still in perfectly straight condition. You need to be pretty brutal I imagine to get them to bend. Ensure that when you make your Alt adjustment the North bolt is loosened off a couple of turns before you adjust the South bolt. Then adjust the North bolt last. It only needs to be finger tight.

There a numerous tutorial on the subject which might show up using the forum search.

Basically, the bolts are more of an issue during setting up and not a worry while in use.

The polar axis is something that is initially adjusted according to your latitude and then just small tweaks during final setting up (assuming it won't be permanently sited).

One of the pair of bolts has a lot of weight sat on it and the face of cam that it acts on isn't square on to the bolt. This gets worse with higher latitude sites.

As the bolt is turned it can be deflected by the sloping cam surface  and if not careful the bolt can bend to such a point that it's difficult to get it out to replace it.

The static weight isn't a concern so much as the end of the bolt "walking" across the cam face while being turned. The initiated the bending process.

I'm extra careful and try and hold some of the weight while adjusting the lower bolt. I may eventually replace them but probably with heavier bolts. A bit of an engineering job that I'll likely keep putting off indefinitely...

I've replaced the ones on my EQ6 as the mount will have a 15kg / 7 foot long scope on board. The replacements seem excellent quality although I believe they would still bend if I did not follow the adjustment method advised here due to the shape of the cam faces as mentioned.

Welcome to SGL  mrjonathonbrown, I hope you enjoy it here.

As you have already found out, there is an enormous amount of help available to you via many knowledgeable members of the forum.

I refer to your Worry about the EQ6 Latitude adjustment bolts.

I can't enlarge on it any better than Paul M has already done, an excellent description of what could happen, if

care is not taken during the  adjustment  of your local Latitude.

Absorb what he as explained, and you will accomplish the task with no trouble at all.

Best Wishes.

Ron.     

@Paul M @John @barkis Thanks again for all the help on this matter. I'l be sure to follow all the instructions carefully, like I said this will be the first time for me using a EQ. I've still got a lot of learning to do regards to polar align etc. and learn all the terms you all use in this field. 

I think most here take pleasure in helping others. It gives us something to do while i's cloudy!

As you say, there is a lot of terminology and a lot to learn. Perhaps the best advice I could give is to accept it will take time and you will get frustrated at times. Just cut yourself some slack and enjoy the journey.

The internet at large is a huge resource for astronomy. Wish I'd had that. It was library books for me!

Anyway, the learning is the fun bit :)

I've had my EQ6 since 2004 and the original bolts are as good as ever. Except in exceptional circumstances, if the bolts are adjusted correctly -  i.e.without the installation of the telescope and counterweights and when making latitude adjustments by undoing the opposing bolt while tightening the first bolt - there is no problem with the system at all. In fairness, the design could be improved for northern latitudes but used sensibly, you are unlikely to have any issue.

The issue with the bolts depend to some extent on how the mount is used, in my case tracking accuracy relies on accurate PA so this has to be done each time its used and fully loaded otherwise errors creep in.

If the mount is semi permanent then the adjustments are less frequent but at some point the adjustments must be made fully loaded to drift align or am i missing something.

Alan

If you are doing drift alignment (or similar) then of course you need to adjust the latitude bolts whilst fully laden.  Make sure you loosen the upper bolt before tightening the bottom one.  Also, as mentioned above, it helps to support the weight of the loaded equipment when tightening the bottom - if you have a heavy load.

Mark

This is what i have done with the CG-5.

The bolts were 10mm.Mine had a C11  

scope on it ,which bent the Att bolt.

It is all down to weight.This is what i

use now on it.Hope this helps you a

bit.Just be carefull & you will be OK.

Steve

post-1842-0-52779000-1398066827_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-72527500-1398066850_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-03572400-1398066876_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-68901900-1398067537_thumb.jp

post-1842-0-82113200-1398067642_thumb.jp

I agree that if you are drift aligning, you do of course have to have the gear installed and again this is no problem provided you use a little 'mechanical sensitivity' in how you adjust the mount. For the most part, this potential problem really is down to the user and applying a considered approach to the issue resolves it - the issue is so well documented that there is almost no excuse for damaging the bolts!

To add a little balance to my argument, in my earlier post I said Except in exceptional circumstances and those circumstances are when the jaws of the altitude forks have been overtightened at the factory where even a fully released opposing bolt won't help - but again, if it doesn't 'feel' right when making the adjustment, it's time to take a break and consider what may be wrong.

All of that being said, it is a pity that SW haven't heeded the numerous warning posts on the Internet as a solution to the issue that would allow harsher use would not be beyond the factory, event if they didn't go as far as the good designs that they have implemented on the AZ EQ6 GT and EQ8 mounts from the same stable.

When you have spent something like £1000-1400 on the mount just order a set of stronger bolts and reduce the chance of any accident. SGL has a history of bent bolt posts.

If one bends through chance or forgetfulness the cost alone of returning the mount will far outweigh the new bolt cost.

Will agree that you can avoid the problem if careful, but that still means taking a bit of a chance. With my HEQ5 I simply got the mount and bought a set of replacements. I still take the weight off when adjusting or checking because there is a chance of stripping threads, but I have reduced the chances of one problem.

The EQ6 is a great mount, just put in stronger replacement bolts, be careful to loosen the opposite bolt, be gentle, and if possible don't use a heavy scope if you need to adjust with scopes in position.  Also the application of copper grease to the bolts helps.

Carole 

I agree with all the above - it's a terrific mount especially for ap and well capable of bearing some quite heavy setups. I'm only commenting because you are in Glasgow and one member above commented on use at higher latitudes and my experience directly relates to that.

My mount was purchased brand new by a friend in London. He never had any problem with it and (althought he bought the replacement bolts from the outset). I bought it from him 9 mths later and for a further 18 mths I never strayed above 52 degrees with it and never had a problem either. I sold it on to another friend in Nottingham (53 degrees) and he discovered couldn't polar align it at all because it wouldn't elevate??

On strip down he found the alt bolt had bent slightly and driven it's way under the lug it pushes against. So no amount of turning moved it any longer and 52-53 degrees appears to be the critical latitude. There are a couple of nice solutions to this which fixed the problem and are found in this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161907-neq6-tuning-kit/?hl=neq6

It means taking the mount apart unfortunately - but the worst bit of it is taking the plastic cover plate of without breaking it - but that's cosmetic. I would also recommend getting the upgrade bolts - so long as you're careful with them you won't strip threads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EQ6-NEQ6-upgraded-Latitude-Adjustment-Bolts-skywatcher-/280622359837

Hope that helps. :)

The EQ6 is a great mount, just put in stronger replacement bolts, be careful to loosen the opposite bolt, be gentle, and if possible don't use a heavy scope if you need to adjust with scopes in position.  Also the application of copper grease to the bolts helps.

Carole

Copper Ease been on mine from new. The answer to many of my sticky woes and a hangover from owning Italian motorcycles.

Archived