Narrowband

M106 19/04/2014

RikM

Since this is my current CCD imaging target, I thought I would have a look at it myself while the camera gear whirred away in the background. It was quite an odd night. The sky background seemed quite bright but there was plenty of contrast on faint fuzzies. I sketched this with the 14mm XW but shortly after, changed up to the 10mm XW and that pretty much sat in the focuser for the rest of the night. It was a great night for galaxies.

As normal, graphite and blending stump on white cartridge paper, scanned and inverted in Photoshop.

gallery_5915_414_10296.jpg

Very nice. :)

Is that hints of a spiral arm at the top there Rik?

I don't think so Mike, more like poor smudging. It is definitely an offset oval rather than a normal rounded one but I couldn't get a good capture of that. Bit out of practice really.

As I said, the sky was weird. It was bright but deep. I could 'feel' spiral structure without really seeing it in M51, M101 and a couple over at the top of the Virgo cluster.

Archived