Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 Mount

Jim Steele

I have been offered a manual CG5 Mount from a guy in my astronomy club in return for a small donation to the clubs funds, which seems like a steal. it has steel legs, and the tapered mount I would probably say 10-15 years old. how do these compare with an eq5? And would it handle a 4 inch refractor?

Is there anything I need to look out for when looking at it and will it accept sky watcher tube rings?

If it were a recent one I'd say yes it will support a 4" refractor. But I've no idea about a 10-15yr old one. Do you have a picture? Just in case it's significantly different and my estimation is wrong. I've had 2 manual and 2 goto CG5's but they were all made in the last 5yrs and could be significantly different to the one you've been offered. :)

Depending on the donation size, of course, this could be a great acquisition. For visual usage a 4" is a good match (no f/15s) and the saddleplate will accept Celestron/Vixen-style dovetail plates. I'm sure there are still motors available for simple tracking, but I've not kept up with sources since powering mine, sorry. If you do get it, a dismantling to remove the Chinese glue they pass off as grease will make cold weather operation less frustrating.

Good luck.

Agree with all above comments. Looks like this is the new version with the much improved bearings. I have had both and the newer is far far better. It should cope with up to 8 kg but make sure you have a enough counterweights. It copes with my Celestron C8 fine. I would have thought a 4 inch refractor weights less than this.

It takes standard vixen style dovetail which you can attach skywatcher rings to. If you do not have one something like this is a good value option:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

You can easily add dual axis motors with hand controller (£120) and this is fine for starting with astrophotography. I have this set up with GPUSB gizmo which allows me to control via via PC.

Not sure how to spot a bad one, but the worms, gears and axes are adjustable to an extent so should be able to reduce any 'slop' or 'play' in the movements. But this is probably not an issue if you are going to use the it manually without motors. I definitely recommend taking it apart and replacing the grease as mentioned by Nakedgun. You also get to learn a lot about the internal workings of the mount!

Does it have a polarscope? Could be very useful if you ever want try imaging.

Hope that helps.

Forgot to add, you'll need to locate a counterweight for it, as none is pictured, but, you knew that already.

Hi Nakedgun - there is a counter weight supplied. Do you know if the sky watcher motors fit the cg5? Would be nice to have a ra motor drive.

Jim,

I bought the Celstron motors for mine when they were available. Others will have to comment on the applicability of the Sky Watcher unit, but it may be the same as the CG5 clone sold here in the US as the Sky View Pro from Orion. Their "True Track" system may be the same item.

I tried to link Orion's page for it, but they must have some kind of block in place for all their Rubbish.

Thanks guys, I decided to go for it! I can work out details later. A solid mount though my current scope is much too light for the counter weight - upgrade time?

My wife's expression was a picture when I bought it home.

It has a few faults like its missing one of the original bolts to attach tripod too the mount which has been replaced by a normal nut, and the dust cap covering where the polar scope should sit but I got a good deal so can't really complain.

I just need to find a UK supplier of spare parts but still usable. Much more solid than my old mount with its 2 inch legs.

......I just need to find a UK supplier of spare parts but still usable. Much more solid than my old mount with its 2 inch legs.

The Astroboot might help you. They have all sorts of bits and bobs on there:

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

I used to have a CG5 on the 2" steel tubed tripod. It was a pretty good mount and even coped with a 6" F/8 refractor for visual observing. The drive motors are very, very similar to the Skywatcher EQ5 ones which could probably be made to fit with a little ingenuity here and there.

Archived