Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full disc and Proms

Zakalwe

I still find myself ignoring my own advice on days like this and chasing the seeing , I know the focus is nailed and it's just the atmosphere but it's hard to stop yourself just trying a few clicks either side on the off-chance ... never works though ...  :grin:

We all know how much the thin but relatively benign Earth atmosphere affects the view , but I was wondering the other day by how much the light is affected by the much more turbulent Sun's chromosphere before it starts it's eight minute journey to us ... it must play some part surely ... ?

I still find myself ignoring my own advice on days like this and chasing the seeing , I know the focus is nailed and it's just the atmosphere but it's hard to stop yourself just trying a few clicks either side on the off-chance ... never works though ...  :grin:

We all know how much the thin but relatively benign Earth atmosphere affects the view , but I was wondering the other day by how much the light is affected by the much more turbulent Sun's chromosphere before it starts it's eight minute journey to us ... it must play some part surely ... ?

If it is, then there's nothing that can be done about it.

The light is being distorted by the different cells in the Earth's atmosphere. Its a bit like saying that the light emitted by the hot filament in an old fashioned light bulb is being distorted by the shielding gas within the bulb. It's irrelevant.

However, if the light is then refracted and diffracted by the air between the sensor and the bulb then that will have a noticeable effect.

Great work, the clouds lost :laugh:

We had some fun and games with the clouds in the morning too when imaging. We got some half decent seeing later in the day at about 4pm, one of those rare times when you wonder if the lappy screen has frozen because the disc looks so still :laugh:

Archived