SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what aperture size?

I have been looking at telescopes and I have seen a few that I like some of an aperture of 70mm and others have one of 60mm? the one I have currently is 50mm aperture so I know an upgrade would be nice. I finally got my now hubby to agree to a budget. I will still be getting the eye pieces and filters kit that I want which is a plus.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we can advise, we would really need to know your budget. To be honest, i wouldnt even consider 60mm,70mm even as an upgrade as the aperture is still  just a bit on the small size. Something in the range of 130-150mm would be a great starter scope and will allow you to do some serious observing.

If you want to skip the "starter scope" part, then you really should be considering something of about 200mm (8 inch) and upwards.

Dont get me wrong, 70,80,90mm scopes are good for some things like observing the Moon,Solar observing (with proper safety filters installed) and a few other things. In general though they are just too small in aperture. 

What would you like to observe?Whats your budget?

Filter kits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can take them or leave them. Most people leave them.

well my budget is no more than $125 for the telescope itself and I mostly observe the moon, but I am starting to learn how to find other things in my astronomy class such as mars, saturn, etc. I would love to be able to look at more things that the moon. I haven't tried observing stars in my current telescope though.. I know with a special filter I can also observe the sun. 

well my budget is no more than $125 for the telescope itself and I mostly observe the moon, but I am starting to learn how to find other things in my astronomy class such as mars, saturn, etc. I would love to be able to look at more things that the moon. I haven't tried observing stars in my current telescope though.. I know with a special filter I can also observe the sun. 

That's a pretty tight budget in any currency, but workable. I think your best option would be to go for the Skywatcher Heritage 130P.

Its a 5 inch open truss mini Dob, but for its size, it really packs a hell of a punch optically. 

Just to give you an idea of what it is:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

cutepetgroomer.......Hi, as already pointed out by LukeSkywatcher, I too would advise against any Eyepiece or filter kit until you've at least tried the new telescope first, and You will probably receive eyepieces similar to what you have now! The jump to 70mm from 50mm,  your not going to appreciate any difference!

Filters work by cutting certain wavelengths. You need to have sufficient wavelengths entering the telescope, and 70mm telescopes don't really achieve a lot. I wouldn't  even use them on my Celestron Powerseeker 127mm. Fact is I don't even use them on my 200mm! I have a Moon/Light pollution filter, and I don't even think that works very well.

Filters sound great, but only work under certain conditions, their not suitable all the time. For your budget, and to look at the Moon you could probably get better results on the Moon by using Binoculars? You wont (I doubt) see any surface detail from the Planets,except the Moon with the telescope, because 70mm aperture is just not big enough. 

yes I admit that it is a rather tight budget but with the priority being making sure we have and what not first... and I have been looking like mad and I did find a not so well know site that was one will within my budget but I haven't made any purchases yet. Its not pay day yet. but this is one https://www.google.com/search?q=telescopes+under+100+dollars+70mm&oq=telescopes+under+100+dollars+70mm&aqs=chrome..69i57.13603j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=telescope&tbm=shop&tbs=vw:l,cat:165,pdtr0:720633%7C70.0%2470.0,price:1,ppr_max:150&spd=12864574614972101145 I seem to really like and I know it is a good brand

You would seem to be limited to ones like the Celestron Powerseeker 70EQ at $130 - telescopes.com

Similar for the Astromaster 70 AZ they do.

There is a Vixen Skyeye at $120, again on an AZ mount.

Not much else is coming up.

Which eye pieces and filters kit ?

Many people make a solar filter themselves from the solar filter film and cardboard and tape. With a little care and common sense it should be OK. Perhaps as a project at the astronomy class?

As you guys would say "more bang for your buck" The Dobsonian is just the name of the mount that the Newtonian reflector is attached too. The mount is simple, steady  but effective. Therefore, the manufacturer can spend less on the mount and more on the optics. I would recommend studying them.  Their an obvious choice for just visual observations. The mount was not designed for astro-photography, should that be a possible consideration. The Heritage 130 has already been mentioned, but after that I would suggest  a 6" (150P) or the  8" (200P) depending on how many Dollars you can set aside.

I am in a similar situation. I have a travelscope 70 and am looking for an upgrade. Either an explorer 130p or skyliner 150p.

The Skyliner has more aperture, which is better for visual observations. However, the 150 uses a Rack & Pinion focuser, you would do better if you opted for the Skyliner 200P,  it has the  better Crayford focuser, and bigger aperture  yet  again. 

Well I have found one that has a 76 mm aperture and is on an eq mount. It is a celestron. Still looking but after seeing three images of the moon at once in both eyepieces I have, my hubby has also agreed I do need a new telescope but first is seeing if being well away from city lights does make a difference

Ok so I keep finding myself going back to looking at a telescope with a dob mount. I'm thinking as long as my telescope will hope up to the end of the semester for whatever assignments I must do (instructor has agreed to check out some filters to me) then I am good to go for now and really research the different ones. I know before the next lunar exclipse I will be getting my own set of filters, I have to given where I live right now has a bunch of light pollution even in the darkest spots I can find I stil have that problem. I can make out Orion, Canis Major, Ursa Major and now Lyre constellations with the naked eye alone. I might invest in a pair of binoculars I saw a pair of 8X50s for a good price here in the US so I think I will ask my husband to buy me a pair for the time being as planned. I would like to know which telescope would be better for my particular needs, ease of transport to campsites, more images seen. I know the aperture size is the most important factor the biggest sized aperture I can potentially afford. and are refractors or reflectors better for my needs? I"m thinking given what I want to do and the degree I am studying I should get one with a goto mount or one with an eq mount to suit my needs better or stick with a dob mount as thats the one I'm constantly drawn to at  the school observatory.

For visual use, a dobsonian reflector will give you best bang for the buck!

Hands down. You get the most aperture for the money.

A refractor looks cool, but the decent ones start in a completely different priceleague.

If you have a very limited budget, honestly stay away from refractors and focus on getting a dobsonian like the 150p.

As in that pricerange, refractors are nothing but cheap plastic toys.

6 and 8 inch dobsonians come up for sale secondhand very often as well, as there are always people upgrading.

Just my 2 cents.

well, I may have to wait a bit longer but I think this one is perfect for my needs http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestroncometronfirstscope76reflectortelescope.cfm  It was that one or the first scope I liked best so I went with the one that is a few dollars more to get some more things with it. It is a dobsonian reflector and is readily portable for my needs. I have never had one before so I'm for sure going to be going through a learning process a bit when I first get it but I believe aligning the finderscope is the same for any telescope for the most part. 

well, I may have to wait a bit longer but I think this one is perfect for my needs http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestroncometronfirstscope76reflectortelescope.cfm  It was that one or the first scope I liked best so I went with the one that is a few dollars more to get some more things with it. It is a dobsonian reflector and is readily portable for my needs. I have never had one before so I'm for sure going to be going through a learning process a bit when I first get it but I believe aligning the finderscope is the same for any telescope for the most part. 

Sorry to be blunt. But that Scope is also just a 76mm aperture with a cheap toy mirror. I have the SW version for my 2 year old son. It really won´t give you any better views than what you already have.

It really would be a complete waste of money and end up in total dissapointment for you. The EP´s that come with it are also terrible cheap. You get what you pay for definitely applies here.

I would at least consider this one. As that will be an actul upgrade, as it has at least decent optics, better quality plosl EP´s and both primary and secondary mirror seem colimatible:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/Classic-Dobsonians/Orion-StarBlast-45-Astro-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/13/p/102010.uts

Both finder and Eye Piece are also on the correct and more comfortable position. Unlike the 76mm one you linked, where the finder is positioned terribly.

Or just check the US Astro Buy&Sell for a second hand 6inch / 8 inch dobsonian. There is pretty much always one up for sale at all times.

Hello, another vote for a Dobsonian - I would you suggest you save up for a 6" like this one.......

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-8944-SkyQuest-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B001DDW9UW

This scope will give excellent views on the Moon, the Planets and the brighter deep sky objects - it is an excellent all rounder and will last a lifetime.

*** I would strongly advise that you do not buy a filter kit until you have some experience with your new scope - they do not make a significant difference to the views ***

If portability and budget are the main driving factors and you can't stretch to the 130p, then there is the Orion Skyscanner 100mm. Its Skywatcher cousin has gone down well over here!

Forget the eyepiece and filter kit, you can always do that at a later date once you've used the 'scope a bit, blow ALL the budget on the 'scope to begin with.

Without a doubt buy a Dob!  Maybe look for a used one, people get aperture fever (like me) and want to get a bigger scope. Might be able to find a six inch in your price range.

The bigger the mirror the better the views! I plan to go from a 4.5 inch to a 12 inch this summer. Can't wait.

Archived