Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Phase 1 PST complete

stevil

Had my first light this morning with my modded PST which gave a really nice view, using amongst other things :

Skywatcher Evostar 90

PST

Custom adapter made by John at JTechDesign

90mm D-ERF

A huge thanks to everyone who has helped with advice for this project especially Merlin66.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-29921-139792761939_thumb.jpg

Oh, since I have 2 of the mod masters' attention here (Peter and Ken) a quick question if I may:

I am looking at doing a stage 2 at some point and was wondering if the Borg Helical Focusser (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/borg-helical/borg-helical-focuser-s-7315.html) would work.

I am also wondering what spacers I would need from the etalon to this Focusser (if it is ok to use) and how to measure the 200mm from the etalon to the eyepiece / star diagonal / camera (basically I am not sure what to measure to (my eye or where a camera would be?) and if you include the star diagonal in the calculation, how that is measured (presumably the path light will take along it?)

Thanks

Steve

I "cheated" somewhat with my stage2 modification. I removed everything from the black box but still used it by boring out the rear face to accept a BF15 diagonal. This fortunately produced the correct etaton to blocking filter distance. I also use the focuser of the donor telescope, the preset objective to etalon distance is maintained within tolerance by using a zoom eyepiece which requires minimal refocusing throughout its range.

On my current TS102 mod I use the Borg helical focuser....

post-2614-0-96020400-1398027071_thumb.jp

post-2614-0-93682400-1398027089_thumb.jp

I have a M50 to SCT thread adaptor behind the etalon, 30mm long, then the SCT to T thread (Orion prime focus adaptor), 18mm, the Baader Variable T thread spacer (set to around 20mm), Borg focuser (55-65mm) and finally the BF15 (70mm path length)

I find I sometimes need to add/ remove 10mm depending on the camera.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, hope you don't mind, but I've just PM'd you about the adapter.  I've got the exact same items as you for my Stage 1 mod, except an adapter to connect the Evostar 90mm tube to the PST.  Be interested to hear more about this John at JTechDesign.  :)

Custom adapter made by John at JTechDesign

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same idea as Peter of leaving the black box on for a stage 2 mod. You said Peter that you still use the focuser from the donor 'scope, but  doesn't  it put you far out of the focal range if it's attached to the rear of the box?

I have a B600 I can use, but would the distance with regard to its focal placement on the rear of the box have to be shorter than with the B15?.

Merlin.  My focuser is between the telescope and the black box, I just cut off the "gold" tube 3" in front of the etalon tuner, added a thin sleeve to pack it out to 2" fit and then plugged the whole lot in as a Ha "eyepiece". A forerunner of the Quark?  :smiley:

Archived