SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alternatives to HEQ5 SynTrek?

Thalestris24

Hi all

I've been thinking about getting a second mount which would also be for imaging. I suppose ideally it would be another HEQ5 Syntrek but I'm only thinking in terms of a ED-80 or 130pds as a scope and the HEQ5 would seem a bit overkill, not to mention rather expensive. At the same time the eq5 Pro SynScan doesn't seem as well made and anyway I don't need a controller. Something in between the two would be good - anyone got any suggestions for another make that would still allow me to use EQMOD/PHD2/etc.

Thanks

Louise

... or alternatively maybe the Celestron Advanced VX - looks quite good! Mind you, I've heard it's noisy?? That wouldn't be good for neighbour relationships...

This is an interesting video. As well as showing off the equipment it gives a rough overview of AP procedures though has some variations from what I do!

http://www.all-startelescope.com/videos/astrophotography/edgehd-advanced-vx

The Celestron mounts are so close to the Skywatcher that it is easier to consider them the same.

The other one's that are around are the iOptron EQ mounts.

They tend to be a bit more advanced, they have GPS etc as standard and a USB port etc. They appeared a couple of years ago so were built with slightly more up-to-date features and connectors.

Check Altair Astro for details, if I recall the number in the mount name is the max load for it.

The lightweight one however does not have a number in it's name, so upsets a nice simple approach.

(Old Barr and Stroud place ??)

My inclination would be to go with the HEQ5 Syntrek. You can never really be overmounted (Well, within reason). I'm guessing that you will also want to guide, so another ST80 and dual saddle?

The rig I have, Megrez 90 / FR IV / 550D + ST80 / QHY5 II on the dual saddle comes in at 9kg or so, which would be pushing it for the EQ5, but is comfortable for the HEQ5.

I don't know about the iOptron, there have been issues around their spring-loaded worms, but that might only affect longer FL refractors.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. The ioptron equivalent would, I suppose, be the ieq30 but that's way too expensive! The SmartEQ Pro looks a bit too lightweight... But the syntrek is a bit too expensive also, plus the latitude adjustment on them is pants! The Advanced VX looks much better in that respect, at least. Hmm... I dunno...

DaveS: yes would want to guide but a finder guider is fine :) I use my current mount/scope indoors through a window looking east... I have another window facing west which has potential so another imaging setup could make use of that and there is a lot less lp on the west side  :) However, the window is smaller so I could only use a 80mm frac or maybe a 130pds.

I think I'd really like to hear from any Advanced VX users?

Cheers

Louise

As a BTW Louise, how do you have your current HEQ mounted? Do you have a pillar that you can put close to the window? Just wondering.

A fast-ish ED80 might be a nice complement to the 150PDS

As a BTW Louise, how do you have your current HEQ mounted? Do you have a pillar that you can put close to the window? Just wondering.

A fast-ish ED80 might be a nice complement to the 150PDS

Hi Dave

No, I have the standard tripod so can't get as close as I'd like :( I was contemplating getting an Orion Optics pedestal mount. They do various heights and a 550mm one would also allow me to point higher. At the moment I'm limited to up to about 32 degrees altitude... I did post on here to ask about the OO pedestals but didn't really get a response - put me off a bit! The OO web site pricing isn't very friendly either - you have to add an Heq5 adapter and VAT!! So they are not cheap (£169 + vat! ) and OO weren't very helpful via email either... I don't know of anyone else that does them so maybe I'll just get one anyway. OO doesn't even have an actual photo of them - I don't find artists impressions very inspiring!

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/MOUNTS/skywatcherheq5.html (pedestal 'image' on right!)

Anyway, nothing to do with a second mount!

Cheers

Louise

That's a bummer. I thought there was a dedicated pier for the HEQ5, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo, unless you can get something custom made, but that's going to cost.

I'm not entirely surprised by the lack of response from OO, they do seem to have acquired that reputation.

Hi Louise,

A word of caution... I am pretty sure you can't use EQMOD with anything other than a SW syntrek/synscan mount.

Celestron mounts are not the same software wise and cannot be used with EQMOD.

PHD will work so long as there are suitable drivers available for the mount and the mount has an ST4 port... it does not necessarily need to be ASCOM.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

That's a bummer. I thought there was a dedicated pier for the HEQ5, but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo, unless you can get something custom made, but that's going to cost.

I'm not entirely surprised by the lack of response from OO, they do seem to have acquired that reputation.

Hi Dave

Yes, there is! FLO do a Skywatcher version which has the advantage of being on wheels - them but they are too tall! Only a bit taller than the tripod but I really need something shorter that will allow me to point higher in the sky. Well that's the theory...

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

A word of caution... I am pretty sure you can't use EQMOD with anything other than a SW syntrek/synscan mount.

Celestron mounts are not the same software wise and cannot be used with EQMOD.

PHD will work so long as there are suitable drivers available for the mount and the mount has an ST4 port... it does not necessarily need to be ASCOM.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi Sandy

Yeah, I realise that - I pointed it out to someone else not that long ago! Obviously mounts don't have to use EQMOD to be able to be computer controlled otherwise Synta would have a monopoly! As long as I can interface it to a PC with Stellarium and PHD, that will be sufficient, I think :). I believe the Advanced VX does that and is ASCOM compatible. But I'm not in any rush and am open to alternatives/suggestions :)

Thanks

Louise

Archived