SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pierro Astro ADC

Does anyone have any experience of these atmospheric dispersion correctors? They are advertised as removing colour fringing and making planetary images sharper. They are quite expensive at £309 + post but I would consider one if the general consensus is that they do work.

The web site is www.astrograph.net or www.pierro-astro.co.uk 

Would be good to get any feedback.

Peter

ADC in general are expensive and they do what they say - they correct for atmospheric dispersion. There are some users of the Pierro Astro ADC (like in France), and I'm using the AstroSystems Holland ADC which differs with that it's 1,25" nosepiece/holder design.

On planets that are low on the sky you can see blue and red edge - that's the dispersion. It shift focus of different wavelengths so that they don't focus at the same point. So a low altitude Saturn can't be focused perfectly. ADC adds opposite effect to cancel both out and give sharp image (seeing may still spoil it). I'm using it and it helps a lot, especially when you can use L or similar filters with mono cameras to get very good luminance channel (or sharp color image with a color camera) even on Jupiter that still is high on the sky.

ADC in general are expensive and they do what they say - they correct for atmospheric dispersion. There are some users of the Pierro Astro ADC (like in France), and I'm using the AstroSystems Holland ADC which differs with that it's 1,25" nosepiece/holder design.

On planets that are low on the sky you can see blue and red edge - that's the dispersion. It shift focus of different wavelengths so that they don't focus at the same point. So a low altitude Saturn can't be focused perfectly. ADC adds opposite effect to cancel both out and give sharp image (seeing may still spoil it). I'm using it and it helps a lot, especially when you can use L or similar filters with mono cameras to get very good luminance channel (or sharp color image with a color camera) even on Jupiter that still is high on the sky.

I had a look at the web site and it looks complicated to get set up. Do you just adjust it as you use it to get the best result - trial and error?

Peter

I put the ADC in and an eyepiece and I set the levers until I can't see those blue/red edges (but not to much or they will re-appear on opposite sides when the ADC ads to much of correction). With a color camera it can be done with the camera itself. It's quite easy.

I put the ADC in and an eyepiece and I set the levers until I can't see those blue/red edges (but not to much or they will re-appear on opposite sides when the ADC ads to much of correction). With a color camera it can be done with the camera itself. It's quite easy.

Thanks - bears serious consideration I think. Does seem expensive though.

Peter

Archived