SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Before I spend too much money.......

Hi

First time astronomer and I have a Celestron 8SE with Celestron Lens Kit. I also have a Atik Titan colour CCD and a Nikon D5100 DLSR with 18-55 lens and a 28mm prime lens.

• I wondered if anyone had any advice on lens or attachments which would benefit me? Focal Reducers, etc?
  • I also really struggled last night with the Atik software and couldn't get it to show anything from the scope. I lined up on Jupiter using my diagonal and standard 25mm lens but when I swapped this for the Atik Titan camera and followed the instructions to get first exposure, I got nothing, just a black screen.
  • Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a lens adaptor or should the camera work straight off with the scope. I am attaching it straight in the back and wondering if I need a lens in between the camera and scope somehow?

Doing lots of research but keen to get some guidance. It might be that I am just expecting too much from what is going to be a steep learning curve!

Simon

Shouldn't think you need anything between the scope and camera as there should be enough focus adjustment on the mirror.

I had a similar problem with Atik OSC and reloaded all the software and that fixed it.

Perhaps you could try different exposure settings, set it looping and start at fast settings and gradually increase.

Try shining a torch down the scope while capturing to see if the camera reacts.

Try starting on the Moon if it's out.

Does it have a seperate tracking setting for planets ?

Dave

Thanks Dave. Ill try that out. It might be the exposure setting. We had a really clear night last night but just couldn't get anything working. Having read up a bit today, it may be that I was not fully aligned as well. Ive heard the field of view for the camera might be quite tight so maybe a focal reducer will help.

Will let you know how I get on, so far, it looks clear outside!

Yep, just tried camera in daylight with fast exposure (0.001) and it reacts to the light change so at least its working!

Guess I just need to have a right good play with it. I will use the moon as a start point if its in the right place tonight.

It does have a guide port which I assume I can connect to the telescope at some point for auto-guiding.

Thanks

You'll only be able to get short exposures in Alt/Az mode so won't need autoguiding.

Wouldn't spend out on anything 'till you've had a go with the equipment you have, though there's usually a few Celestron 6.3 f/reducers around s/hand.

Hopefully there's a some astro imaging  software in development for Nikon that'll help videoing planets.

Dave

You'll only be able to get short exposures in Alt/Az mode so won't need autoguiding.

Wouldn't spend out on anything 'till you've had a go with the equipment you have, though there's usually a few Celestron 6.3 f/reducers around s/hand.

Hopefully there's a some astro imaging  software in development for Nikon that'll help videoing planets.

Dave

There is a recent thread on Nikon software. Try searching for that maybe

To initially find Jupiter, set the gain to max & the exposure at ~1 second. Jupiter should then appear as a big orange ball, with the moons visible as well. Then turn everything down until you see the details of the bands to focus in on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived