Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A night with no cloud!

Mr Spock

Had a really good night for a change.

Jupiter looked fine early on, with plenty of detail on view at x235. Conditions weren't steady enough to go higher than x235 though.

Unfortunately Jupiter disappears behing the neighbour's 30' lelandii about 9:00 so I didn't get to see the GRS.

Next I turned my attention to γ Leo. Always a beauty, I upped the mag to x392 as I do with doubles.

I did notice the diffraction ring at x392 wasn't 100% symmetrical, so I had a minor collimation tweak until it was - I'd only done the defocus type collimation since fitting Bob's Knobs as poor weather got in the way.

Next came the big show - Mars. As with Jupiter I kept the mag down to x235. What a fine sight with the pole and Syrtis Major finely etched. At this time (around 10:30 ish) Mars is above my next door neighbours roof, so a little bit of heat tremor spoiled things a little.

I spent a lot of time on Mars!

To finish off I had a look at γ Vir. An easy split at the moment, it was still a fine sight at x392.

By now I'd had enough, so it was time to come indoors and listen to a bit of late night jazz :)

Great report Michael,

Sounds like you face similar viewing challenges to mine. With a bit of inventiveness and planning the viewing can still be excellent though  :smiley:

...... it was time to come indoors and listen to a bit of late night jazz  :)

Niiiice !!

post-118-0-38450000-1397900412.jpg

Great report Michael,

Sounds like you face similar viewing challenges to mine. With a bit of inventiveness and planning the viewing can still be excellent though  :smiley:

Niiiice !!

" ...The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, and not how well made it is, it is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look though it…. " what a great philosophy this is!

nice report Mr Spock, a very logical reaction to your nights viewing!

Jupiter has been a fine sight for ages now and Mars has been excellent at times as well, despite the challenges of the conditions! got to make the most of it as its already over 2 weeks passed its "best before date"

Archived