Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First real view of Mars

DRT

Last night was very clear with more stars visible from my semi-rural location that I have seen since the depths of winter. Around midnight I had my first good encounter with Mars and the CPC1100 using my Nagler 13mm and a red filter. This was the first time I could pick out any detail at all and could easily see the polar cap and shades of light and dark mottling across the planetary disc. I'm not convinced the red filter is the best quality but it did make a great difference to the contrast of the features on the planet and helped darken the sky to a deep black. If anyone has a suggestion of good quality visual filters for Mars it would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a good session. I didn't have the time or energy for the scope last night but I popped out for ten minutes and it did look very clear with an NELM better than average for my site. I saw the ISS fly over which was a nice bonus too.

For Mars, and Jupiter for that matter, I have always found the Baader Neodymium Filter to be very good for enhancing features whilst maintaining a relatively natural view. I almost always use it on Mars, and switch between filtered and unfiltered on Jupiter.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice one Derek - hope your pain has receded a bit since SGL9 - I also use the baader neodymium filter on Mars, Moon and Jupiter. I find sketching helps train me to pick out detail a lot more readily. it's never what you'd call easy but sometimes allows you to make sense of what you are seeing.

Archived