SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Tonight

Steve777

Tonight I had a look for the Virgo galaxies, suspect I saw a couple as smudges, but then difficult in a fairly light polluted garden (there is one dark spot, but when I move an instrustive street light just outside ruins my dark adaption. However, it was a good night for the Planets; Caught the GRS transit which at points was lovely & clear. Mars was still better (with apologies to Ray Bradbury 'Mars is Heaven', had more luck on that in the last week than ever before; definite first distinct sighting of the south polar cap, with half ring shaped markings beneath it & other markings. As Saturn rose a little, at high power I saw hints of the ring division and a similar hint of a cloud band (can't wait for next month). Found M13 but it was not positioned well enough for a good view; finnished on the moon, too low but lovely craters at x200. It annoys me that I endure light pollution in a semi-rural location-and I will have to go to my friend's in the 'proper' countryside for a DSO hunt-but it still amazes me what it is possible to see with such restrictions.

I only have one street light that can annoy me, I wait till its turned off but with the moon viewing still isn't easy at the moment. Jupiter was well gone by the time I went out, so it was Mars again along with saturn, both excellent tonight, better than last night. I actually got a faint (very faint) M51. I am determined to see that better one day.

Nice report. I found a lot more can be observed from the suburbs than I would have thought possible. My garden is quite dark by city standards, but still not nearly as good as a dark, countryside location. Despite that I have seen many fuzzies just from my back garden. As I gained experience, I have found I can see fainter and fainter objects, even in difficult conditions.

Archived