Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do I really need a barlow

Hi everyone

Im still only fresh to the field with my telescope which is a celestron 130 slt. my wife will be getting me a 8se or cpc 800 at xmas after I learn more about everything im learning already which to be honest is a blinking lot. i.e I thought my biggest outlay would be the scope but how little did I know that that was just the beginning ;-). Anyway my question remains is there a point in me buying a decent barlow lens as as far as im aware the barlow doubles the mag, but I already own a few xcel xl and bst's. I have all the standard sizes such as 5,9,12,18,25 so was wondering is there any point in buying say a celestron xcel xl barlow as I feel the 5mm is to much for my scope let alone with a barlow already and with the barlow would make it 2.5 right?? and anything over that then I already have with the 9 and 12 etc so dont see the advantages of having the lens, is there something im missing???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

no you are not missing anything. barlows are useful for doubling your magnification, extending your eyerelief even slowing down your scope if you need to bring some unruly eyepieces into line you don't need to do any of this so You don't need a  barlow gary

I think you are right to question it and if you are having doubts, it may not be worth it. Do you have any gaps in your eyepiece collection that could be filled by barlowing one of your other eyepieces? If not, then do you want a bit more eyerelief in your shorter focal lengths? With the BSTs and Excels I expect not.

I have a Barlow but very seldom use it these days. I have focal lengths of 28, 20, 14, 10, 7, 5, & 3.5 mm With my 2.5x Barlow I have the option of 8, 5.6, 4mm (which gets used occasionally) and 2.8mm.

Probably not if you are to get a 8SE or 8CPC as the long focal length will mean that you would rarely use the 5mm eyepiece that you already have. (400x on 8") A longer than 25mm focal length eyepiece would be a better bet.  :smiley: 

A barlow will double the strength of any eyepiece you put in it - or it will increase the magnification by 2x. Mostly this is used for trying to see more detail on planets. So for example - barlowing an 8mm eye piece effectively turns it into a 4mm eyepiece. If you've already got a half decent 4mm eyepiece then there's not a lot of point adding extra coated glass in the light path.

You always lose something when you add glass between your eye and the object - even if it's not obvious - and with the cheaper barlows it can bend the light in the wrong places and create distortions where you're not expecting it. The only real exception is the TV Powermates which just seem to magnify and get out of the way.

Barlows are useful though if you're just beginning your eyepiece collection and on a tight budget. Eg with 3 eyepieces of 28mm, 20mm, and 16mm a carefully chosen 2x barlow has the effect of adding 14mm, 10mm, and 8mm doubling your collection at a modest cost. But with your set up I don't think you really need one.

What you could do with is something like 32mm or 35mm to widen the views of larger objects at lower power. A lot of beginners don't realise it's not always about high magnification till they're much further into the hobby. Hth :)

Heya

If youre comfortable with your eyepiece collection, you dont need a barlow, your well covered.

I would instead recommend you to follow Brantuks advice : look for a decent 32mm or 35mm

Rune

" I have all the standard sizes such as 5,9,12,18,25"

With that range of EP's, i dont see the need for a barlow. I agree with brant about adding a 32-35mm EP to the collection. Personally, i'd go for a 32mm GSO Plossl or a 30mm Vixen NPL.

The 32mm GSO Plossl, is simply my most favourite EP that i have ever used. Many other agree. The Vixen 30mm NPL, you would think is better and probably is because Vixen EP's give sharper/more contrasty views.................and are more expensive, but i simply loved my 32mm GSO.

Paul

Thanks paul

Ive decided to buy the 32mm GSO plossl so don't let me down ;-) there wasnt to much difference in the price with delivery tbh but you convinced me with your answer so time will tell hehe

Thanks paul

Ive decided to buy the 32mm GSO plossl so don't let me down ;-) there wasnt to much difference in the price with delivery tbh but you convinced me with your answer so time will tell hehe

I think i can speak with confidence here about the 32mm GSO Plosl. I love it, and many other also do. If you like/want wide field views (who doesnt from time to time?), and as said above "less magnification is more". 

I really dont think you will have a bad word to say about in your 130 SLT.

Dont take my comment as gospel truth. Wait to see other opinions, i bet the 32mm GSO will be mentioned again as the one to add to your collection on a budget. Sure, you could pay 300 quid for a similar size EP,which costs more than the scope. 

Why do that though?

Personally, i think a 32mm GSO  will round your EP collection of very nice.

Its a solid built,chunky EP and gives great views.

Clear skies?

They dont exist.

LOL.

I ordered the 1.25 I hope this is right and not the 2" ??? I imagine both will do great work anyway.

I ordered the 1.25 I hope this is right and not the 2" ??? I imagine both will do great work anyway.

The 1.25 version will work well in the scope you have right now, and also in the 8SE or CPC 800 you get at Christmas.

Its a lovely EP.

Archived