Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some guidance on my equipment.

Hi all.

I am at the stage now where I can afford to upgrade my mount and say goodbye to my EQ5 pro.

What I would like to know if anyone has used or is currently using a 8" newt on a HEQ5 pro?. Just wondering what the payload is like and wether my equipment listed bellow is pushing it. And if so maybe going for the EQ6 instead.

Skywatcher explorer 200p

Canon dslr

St80 guidescope

And a dew shield on both newt and refractor.

I am planning on doing astrophotography. And obviously these mounts aren't cheap so just want to double check before I go and place my order.

Cheers.

Ok, first things first. If you don't already have it get yourself a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, our own steppenwolf. Read it twice, have a think then read it again.

FLO says the imaging payload for the HEQ5 is 11 kg, but that would be qualified by the tube size, the 200mm newt is quite a big 'scope with a fairly long FL that can act like a sail.

For guiding and imaging with a 200mm newt I would be thinking of a very much more substantial mount, the AZ-EQ 6 being the very minimum.

Having used my HEQ5 pro a lot recently, practically the maximum load I've got away with is 11kg. Beyond this I can't reduce backlash acceptably or balance to my satisfaction. So weigh your stuff and consider the above posts about more capable mounts if necessary. Good luck.

Thanks for the insight guys. I have just purchased the NEQ6 as that can handle my equipment no problem it seems. I will be changing my scope at some stage so at least now i can have some payload to play with. 

Hi all.

I am at the stage now where I can afford to upgrade my mount and say goodbye to my EQ5 pro.

What I would like to know if anyone has used or is currently using a 8" newt on a HEQ5 pro?. Just wondering what the payload is like and wether my equipment listed bellow is pushing it. And if so maybe going for the EQ6 instead.

Skywatcher explorer 200p

Canon dslr

St80 guidescope

And a dew shield on both newt and refractor.

I am planning on doing astrophotography. And obviously these mounts aren't cheap so just want to double check before I go and place my order.

Cheers.

Right now I am using an SW quattro on a belt modded HEQ5 PRO and I  feel that with the CCD, filterwheel, guide scope and so on the mount is right at the limit, I also have diffiuclty finding the correct balance for the whole imaging gear and as the result the guiding is suffering. Tonight I am going to use my 4" ED at F7 rather than the Quattro @ F4, atleast I know that the guiding will be fine weather permitting ofcourse.

Regards,

A.G

Your choice of the NEQ6 is the right one! The HEQ5 is a very capable mount but loaded with a 200P, ST80 and camera gear it will be on its absolute limit. For astro-photography, the mount is the most important component - enjoy your new NEQ6!

Good choice getting the NEQ6 - it'll handle the 8" ota with no probs for imaging. It would've been fine for observing on an HEQ5 but would've struggled with imaging. You've avoided all sorts of problems and given yourself a wider choice of ota's. :)

Archived