SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tripod Disaster - narowly averted !

Ptarmigan

A few nights ago I decided on a simple little thing, to do an ISS trail.

It had been some time since I had done a time exposure on a tripod and with the Dragon supply rendevous due I thought a practice run would be a good idea.

The result :( :-

40166.jpg

If you think there is a bit of undesireable camera shake you'd be right !

Just as I approached the camera thinking the 60sec time was about up, I thought I saw a bit of movement, and was just in time to catch the camera as it fell off ! Heading for stony ground underneath :(

The pan-tilt head had come apart !

40172.jpg

all that held it together was a thin spigot and some glue

here it is with my thumb for scale

40173.jpg

The rest of it seems well made, assembled with screws and with grub screws for adjustment etc, but that tatty bit of glue giving way could have done for my camera.

So check over your tripods carefully !

The better news is that this evening I got a shot of ISS by perching the camera on top of a cushion on top of a milk crate on top of a garden seat and tilting it with a bit of stick !!

40176.jpg

Pesky trees !

All I have to do now is source a replacement tripod.

It looks like it was soldered (badly)

Did you buy a lottery ticket?

Lucccckkkkyy.

It's a constant worry of mine - the camera dropped off my mount once and I caught it! (I heard it as it slid out of the holder.) So now I make sure the strap is hooked over the finder!!

It looks like it was soldered (badly)

Did you buy a lottery ticket?

Lucccckkkkyy.

It's a constant worry of mine - the camera dropped off my mount once and I caught it! (I heard it as it slid out of the holder.) So now I make sure the strap is hooked over the finder!!

I've been worried that the camera will fall off somehow. I like the idea of hooking the strap over the finder.

Doh ! After all that, last night I spent too long watching the Idiot's Lantern that I forgot all about the Dragon re-supply pass Grrrr !

CL > "Did you buy a lottery ticket? "
:) good thinking but no - dont like the lottery,
but, shhh dont tell everyone, I have bought some Premium Bonds and May is my first draw !!!
So keep everything xxed and if I win a million y'all are invited to the garden party ;)

> "sure the strap is hooked over the finder!!"
good thinking again, we should patent that too :)
Guess what I will be doing with a piece of string next time.

Mind u, it might not be a bad idea to tie the finder to something as well, before the weight of the falling camera takes the , , , well you get the idea ?!

Archived