Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Saturn pic with DSLR

JemC

Hi all

Another WoW moment for me again last night :smiley: , managed to get a picture of Saturn, it's a little on the small size and the picture really does not do it justice, really must get some tracking for the scope,

I'm really pleased with it and can't wait for my skills and knowledge to get better as well as equipment,

15 frames

f1.4

1/5sec

ISO 100

run through Pipp centred and cropped,

run through Registax

tweaked the best I could in Photoshop cs5

post-35855-0-44451400-1397839078.jpg

Regards

Very nice for a dslr. :)

What lens did you use, by the way? As i asume you haven't pushed the explorer 200 down to F/1,4, hehe... :)

As for the DSLR, if it's the 450d your using, it unfortunatly dosn't have a video crop mode, so it's usuitable for planetary and lunar videos. The video crop mode first came on the 550d. So for planetary and lunar imaging, i actually recommend a webcam that you modefy, or a small planetary/guide camera.

I'm curious what you mean by "i need to get some tracking for the scope" though, as you've listed an EQ5 in your signature? An EQ5 shuold hold the 200p fine for planetrary and lunar imaging.

Very nice for a dslr. :)

What lens did you use, by the way? As i asume you haven't pushed the explorer 200 down to F/1,4, hehe... :)

As for the DSLR, if it's the 450d your using, it unfortunatly dosn't have a video crop mode, so it's usuitable for planetary and lunar videos. The video crop mode first came on the 550d. So for planetary and lunar imaging, i actually recommend a webcam that you modefy, or a small planetary/guide camera.

I'm curious what you mean by "i need to get some tracking for the scope" though, as you've listed an EQ5 in your signature? An EQ5 shuold hold the 200p fine for planetrary and lunar imaging.

Hi Jannis

My DSLR is the 450d, although it does not have the video feature I believe there is a program "EOS movie record" that allows canon camera's that do not have this feature to record movies direct to pc, I am planning on giving this a try soon,

as for the tracking, the EQ5 does hold quite well, it's just that It kind of niggles me that I have to adjust every now and then (lazy)

f1.4 ? I'm not quite sure if that setting is correct, that's what exif data shows, camera was mounted direct to scope and automatically sets f1.4 when any non canon manual focus only lens is attached with adapter,

Regards

James

Ah, i see. It's the scope (or lens) that determines the F-ratio. In your case, the explorer 200p is 200mm wide and 1000mm long. You then take 1000 / 200 = 5, meaning it's an F/5 scope. So, say you put in a 2x barlow, giving you an effective 2000mm out of the scope - then it's 2000 / 200 = F/10. :)

Your camera only reports F/1.4 as it's unable to detect any lens, and is an incorrect value.

With adjusting now and then, you mean the object is drifting out of view? If so, it's usually due to poor polar alignment. A guide camera attached to teh finderscope for example will help you a lot with this.

EOS movie record, hmm, i've heard about it when you mention it - but iv'e never tried it. But if it's able to record a video at 1:1 pixel, it's all good. :)

Archived