Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera adaptor

Unicronicus

Quick question. How would I go about using a fujifim finepix s5800 with our skywatcher 130p scope? I bought a t2 1.25 adaptor and a 46mm t2 adaptor ring to screw to the lens of the camera but once attached to the scope it just tries to focus on the mirror inside of the scope. I am I missing a trick here? Do i need to buy some kind of eye piece to attach to the camera as well?

Bridge cameras can't be used for prime focus imaging, as you have found out. You are correct in thinking that you will also need an eyepiece to image through. There are some eyepieces which have a built in t thread adapter around the top of the eyepiece , such as the Baader Hyperions or the Revelation photo visual eyepiece and there are are also brackets which clamp around an eyepiece which provide a platform for the camera to sit on.

This is the one I use http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-universal-camera-adapter.html . I think I would not attempt DSO imaging with your camera , it has a minimum shutter speed of 4 seconds so you would need to take a lot of images to obtain an image. Lunar imaging with the supplied 25mm eyepiece or similar should be possible, planetary imaging with a shorter eyepiece should also be possible.

Fair enough, I'm happy with planetary photography to start off with as that will take some getting used to. What are your thoughts on these for attaching my camera to the scope http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p143_TS-direct-Adaptor-to-T2-for-1-25--eyepieces-for-eyepiece-project.html ? And are these available in the UK if it is any good?

Cheers!

Ok, so I bought the skywatcher universal camera mount for my fujifilm s5700 to fit to our skywatcher 130p, so next issue is how do I focus the thing on planets etc...? I actually managed to get a blurry shot of Jupiter with a 6mm and a 2x Barlow but boy was it a pain to, a) find it with the LCD screen! B) keep it tracked whilst taking a photo even with timer mode on. And c) getting the camera to focus on Jupiter.

I noticed when pressing down the shutter button halfway that for a second Jupiter came into focus really well, but then the camera decided that is wasn't good enough so reverted to a rubbish focus... I have manual focus on this camera but it is awkward and slow to use unfortunately.

If someone could provide me with some pointers on how to use this type of camera with this mount, scope and eyepiece (filters as well?) that would be great!

Dan

Hi

TBH you'd be much better off investing in a Canon DSLR which are widely used and well supported. It doesn't necessarily have to be a brand new one - there is quite a busy 2nd hand market.

Louise

Ha ha, just had a look at prices of second hand canon dslrs and they cost more than our scope plus accessories!

Here is a pic I managed the other night, but god knows how I done it!

post-36667-0-94903700-1398458712_thumb.j

I had it on full manual mode with a fast aperature and slowish shutter speed, maybe 1"? I'm not sure what to do with the ISO though?

I would look to use your camera like you would a webcam for imaging Jupiter. Take video and then process it in free registax (needs to be an avi).

Also try using landscape mode.

Jupiter is bright so you might not need slow shutter or fast apperature.

The Moon have a go with that as a bigger target to get the hang of it. :-)

I would look to use your camera like you would a webcam for imaging Jupiter. Take video and then process it in free registax (needs to be an avi).

Also try using landscape mode.

Jupiter is bright so you might not need slow shutter or fast apperature.

The Moon have a go with that as a bigger target to get the hang of it. :-)

Now that sounds like a plan! Is registax relitavely easy to use? Are there others that compare to it?

One quick other question. When using this universal camera mount, how close should the camera lens be to the eyepiece for optimal focus on the image being viewed?

My take is that the eye piece has done the focusing, when I had a short try at afocal my camera best responded in macro mode for one and another using infinity focus from memory.

Trial and error the great thing with digital is it is free and no waiting for film to develop.

Plenty videos on you tube on using the free softwares mentioned on here.

I used a camera to eye piece adaptor that was threaded and I guess for that combo if was pretty close.

Archived