Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Clydesdale

Mad astro girl

Hello to my fellow stargazers.

I am a OU student studying physics at the moment. I also do the free online MOOCs for fun and to learn interesting new things. I also try my hand at astrophotography, using basic equipment. I am disabled, with mobility issues, so mainly take pictures from my study room window, unless someone drives me to a dark site to take them. I am the meeting secretary of Clydesdale AS.

Best Wishes

Mad astro girl

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi MAG, and a warm welcome from me in sunny Swindon.  Sounds like you already have quite a bit of experience already, what with the astro club as well.  I too am involved in our local club as website designer and public relations officer.  I am a visual astronomer only.  I do hope to see you around on SGL.

Hello to my fellow stargazers.

I am a OU student studying physics at the moment. I also do the free online MOOCs for fun and to learn interesting new things. I also try my hand at astrophotography, using basic equipment. I am disabled, with mobility issues, so mainly take pictures from my study room window, unless someone drives me to a dark site to take them. I am the meeting secretary of Clydesdale AS.

Best Wishes

Mad astro girl

Excuse my ignorance but what are online MOOCs?

Hi, Sara.

I have my L-plates still on - I guess for some time to come - but have found this site and the population wonderful. It seems there's nothing that somebody, somewhere doesn't know. (Except how to stay free from being hooked on anything to do with eyepieces!)

Good luck with the photography. The very idea seems to be full of terrors. Yet some of the SGL folks look like they take it in their stride.

Best advice I have been given and could pass on is 'have fun'.

Mooc stands for Massive Open Online Course.

The OUs site is www.futurelearn.com

Coursera site is at www.coursera.org

there are others as well, such as MIT and edx. All of them are free, but you can pay to get recognized certificates for your future career prospects etc. I am doing a coursera course entitled The Science of the Solar System, that has Prof Mike Brown, of CalTech, who discovered the minor planet that got Pluto demoted. It is top universities and profs that teach you. The courses involve video lectures, quizzes and reading articles. I am also doing futurelearn course Moons, and one thing I should say is that the courses are not a walk in the park, and require you to watch lots of videos and do quizzes that can contain up 25 multiple choice and pen and paper workings, but it all depends on the course and the lecturer of course. You also need to get a certain pass mark from the overall course quizzes, before you qualify for a certificate of accomplishment. Having said all this, these courses are absolutely briliant. You get to chat on the forums with students from all over the world, and learn the latest info about the solar system etc. I did the futurelearn "The Discovery of the Higgs Boson" recently and cant recommend it and the others highly enough. Check out the sites and see for yourselves what is on offer. Feel free to ask any questions about these free course sites. Mind you I might not be able to answer all questions.

Best Wishes

Mad astro girl.

Hi Andrew,

Good luck to you as well. I did the old version of S382, the now discontinued S381. The sky is clear where I am tonight, and Jupiter is bright in the sky. Can't see Mars from where my window is, but I did see it the other night just above the Moon.

Best Wishes

Mad astro girl

Hi Mad Astro Girl, welcome to SGL, I am also new but this is an amazing site with a wonderful bunch of people, from the very green (as myself) to some very knowledgable and helpful people.  Kind of puts faith back into human nature!  Good luck with your course and conitinue enjoying your Astrophotography!   Hope to talk again.   :icon_geek:    xx

Archived