Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which screwa are which?

On the bottom on my Skywatcher DOB 8" I have two sets of screws one is a Phillips (1) the other allen key (2), what one is for tightening and which is for correcting collimation, I have had a good search but cant seem to find the answer, and what are the screw holes (3) for that seem to be for something.

Thanks for any help

post-36685-0-46645700-1397747100_thumb.j

Mmmm mine look different, but from what I can tell is that the allen key ones are adjusters and the phillips is locking, still no idea what the other ones are though :(

Hears the same question asked by another member, I've copied it for you, Quote:- :smiley: .

Charic, on 09 Apr 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Hi....the 3 screws are your adjusters, the 3 Alan bolts are the locks............Unlock the 3 locks slightly, (Anti-clockwise) then adjust the screws ( Both Anti and Clockwise to make the adjustments. Note when you tighten the Alan bolts, do it gently, or you'll misalign the mirror again?

Doesn't matter which screw you start with, just make small adjustments and look at the result on the laser or through the tool in the focuser. Its great if someone else can adjust while you look through the focuser!

The chrome knobs you refer to are Bobs Knobs?  Custom built to allow manual adjustments without tools! their not cheap either, but handy.

Note: if you manage to unscrew one completely, don't worry. Just ensure the rubber 'o' ring is still in place, and screw it back in. Its like a milking stool, adjust one leg/screw at a time.

Some folk don't even bother with the locks, but their there for security. 

When you get very confident, and you ever need a Mirror Clean, that whole bottom end comes off by unscrewing the screws around the side of the telescope. Then the whole mirror cell will drop out, literally if your not careful so cushion its release? mark an external side  screw  position to a mark on the rim, for accurate reassembly.

Hears the same question asked by another member, I've copied it for you, Quote:- :smiley: .

Charic, on 09 Apr 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Hi....the 3 screws are your adjusters, the 3 Alan bolts are the locks............Unlock the 3 locks slightly, (Anti-clockwise) then adjust the screws ( Both Anti and Clockwise to make the adjustments. Note when you tighten the Alan bolts, do it gently, or you'll misalign the mirror again?

Doesn't matter which screw you start with, just make small adjustments and look at the result on the laser or through the tool in the focuser. Its great if someone else can adjust while you look through the focuser!

The chrome knobs you refer to are Bobs Knobs?  Custom built to allow manual adjustments without tools! their not cheap either, but handy.

Note: if you manage to unscrew one completely, don't worry. Just ensure the rubber 'o' ring is still in place, and screw it back in. Its like a milking stool, adjust one leg/screw at a time.

Some folk don't even bother with the locks, but their there for security. 

When you get very confident, and you ever need a Mirror Clean, that whole bottom end comes off by unscrewing the screws around the side of the telescope. Then the whole mirror cell will drop out, literally if your not careful so cushion its release? mark an external side  screw  position to a mark on the rim, for accurate reassembly.

Good guide with extremely handy info, and also answered "what are Bobs Knobs" I wonder where they can be sourced from.

:)

Archived