Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with a full Moon - M101

Dave Smith

It is amazing how often we get clear nights but with a full or near full Moon to spoil things. At present there are few objects around for narrowband imaging so just bit the bullet and attempted LRGB on M101. The colour was a total disaster but I'm quite pleased (i.e. delighted) with the luminance. Here is the result of 40 x 300s luminance subs using my Megrez 90 scope with 0.8x FR. and Atik 460EX camera. The reason I used the FR was because without it I couldn't reach focus, yesterday a focal extender arrived (thanks FLO) so can do without the FR next time.
This was also the first time I've used my HEQ5 mount (bought especially for star parties) for actual imaging. At Kelling my new computer wouldn't guide but since sorted. It is also my first attempt at M101.

Firstly a full field of view. There are some gradients in there but I was expecting worse.

M101-Lum-03.jpg

and a crop to show the galaxy in a larger scale.

M101-Lum-03cr.jpg

Dave

Dave, you're a brave man! Under full Moon, to get an image as good as that in Luminance is a real achievement - hat's off to you.

Martin

Thanks Martin. It was not really a serious attempt to get a good image of M101 - there was no other choice really. I do want to image galaxies such as M101 and M51 from a dark moonless site and may have the chance at the end of next week when we have a club camp in darkest Suffolk if the weather cooperates. It was more a trial run of the HEQ5 mount and no narrowband targets.

Excellent result :-)

Thanks Maurice.

Great image, well done.

Thanks C7tsj.

Dave

Pretty good given the conditions! I see (like me) that you are missing your narrowband at the moment :)

I had a go at some Lum (NGC3718 - Mag 10.5) on the same nights and lets just say I havent even bothered processing the subs.  Hold on for a bit longer Dave, Cygnus is on its way to save your sanity!

Pretty good given the conditions! I see (like me) that you are missing your narrowband at the moment :)

I had a go at some Lum (NGC3718 - Mag 10.5) on the same nights and lets just say I havent even bothered processing the subs.  Hold on for a bit longer Dave, Cygnus is on its way to save your sanity!

Thanks Rob. That made me smile.

Dave

Archived