SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mel111

Since I have to get up at stupid'o'clock for work, it doesn't give me much time for stargazing during the week but I did manage to get out last night for an hour to view Coma Berenice which I had been reading about during the day and it was a nice clear sky after several nights of a  thin high cloud layer that was giving the stars a somewhat misty muted appearance,  I grabbed two of the lower stars of Leo in the tail and followed a line towards Arctures, coming across Mel 111, it is neither bright nor colourful but a sight to behold in Binoculars absolutely filling the field of view in my 8X40's.

It is ideally placed in the southeast for me right now at 9pm so I have told the wife I need ME time on Saturday night and have some exploring to do :grin:

Neil.

It's a nice one, isn't it.

Best view I've had was with the TV76 and 24 Panoptic, 3.4 degree fov down in Gloucester camping a while back, lovely

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I have to get up at stupid'o'clock for work, it doesn't give me much time for stargazing during the week but I did manage to get out last night for an hour to view Coma Berenice which I had been reading about during the day and it was a nice clear sky after several nights of a  thin high cloud layer that was giving the stars a somewhat misty muted appearance,  I grabbed two of the lower stars of Leo in the tail and followed a line towards Arctures, coming across Mel 111, it is neither bright nor colourful but a sight to behold in Binoculars absolutely filling the field of view in my 8X40's.

It is ideally placed in the southeast for me right now at 9pm so I have told the wife I need ME time on Saturday night and have some exploring to do :grin:

Neil.

It's a lovely part of the sky, and perfect for very low power - I'm enjoying it much more in my 7x50s than I used to in 10x50s (the Hyades too). 

Oddly enough I noticed just today, while plotting a double star session in Com, that 12 Com is listed as a 59" double with mag 4.9 and 8.9 components. It should be a nice challenge at 8x if you have a darker sky than I do!

Archived