Ibbo!

took this with the ZWO

managed to lose the newtons rings with the flat

it was a test to see if they are bad

I will not be using this cam on the sun again with the PST mod

click for larger image

ce0d24517f0d430ba1207786b85e1f12.16536x1

Nice shot, Steve, lovely colour scheme.

I'm seeing mixed reports on the ASI for solar, so not sure what to make of it now  :confused: Sarah and I will probably be in the hunt for a second solar camera, and the ASI price point seems nice... The Point Grey Chameleon looks a safe bet and not too bank-busting, though would not give us full disc at prime focus with our SolarMax 60 (edit: nor would the ASI as far as I know, but I like the price!!).

Nice result. I struggled with the ASI130MM for a while, and although I can do full disks with it, I found the combination of flats and darks needed to make the chip behave (it has both pattern noise in the dark current and flats, and Newton rings)  a pain. I gather the ASI120MM is better in terms of pattern noise, but I chose to steer clear. Ultimately, I find the puny chip of the DMK21 my best camera for H-alpha. I still record flats, but the Newton ring effect is much smaller. The ASI 130MM is great for lunar, however.

I haven't had my ASI120mm long, noise is an issue, but I've not been shooting flats, I expect I can lift that issue reasonably easily.

Newton Rings I solved with a tilt adapter from Teleskop Service, it's pricey for what it is, but does the job perfectly. I've not been doing solar for long (had the scope a month, the ASI120mm for two weeks), so still learning, but the following shot was shot with a tilt adapter in the optical path and the ASI120mm, no flats, an no tweaking beyond colour, sharpness and levels.

post-9886-0-38289200-1397747062_thumb.jp

Archived