SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

House move ate my counter weights

beamer3.6m

Just moved to new house with much darker skies - hooray.

Went to set up scope to fund counterweights have been 'lost' in the move - bummer.

If anyone happens to have 2 weights suitable for the HEQ5 that would be great. I promise them a good home!

Grab a coffee tin and fill it with wheel weights (they'll give them to you at the tyre place.)

When you've got about the right weight, add a few more and pop it on a gas burner in the back yard - melt the wieghts and the steel and slag will float - scrape off the crud with a ladle so some such and allow to cool - tear away the tin anddrill a hole for the cunterweight shaft - a jubillee clip each side will secure it to the shaft.

A friend of mine went to Kmart (large department store in the US) and bought some body-builder weights and the knuckle retainer. (the part that keeps the weights on the end of the bar.

Looks pretty cool.

Archived