Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with telescope Meade Telestar

Evening all im looking for any advice anyone may be able to provide,  My wife recently picked up a telescope from local charity shop so have no history of the telescope or even know which parts im missing, ive always had an interest in getting a scope and my younger daughter also is showing great interest so this was an ideal present and a way for me to get back into a hobby i have had interest in since i was a young boy, the only thing was the telescope came with no eyepieces, everything else is there the finderscope the diagonal mirror all seem present my wife had also printed a manual she thought was the correct model but i am unsure

The telescope is marked as a Meade Telestar but has no model number the only real markings are D-60mm , F=700mm, from what i can tell It looks identical to the Telestar 60AZ-A2 and the instructions i have looked at all say 1.25" eyepieces are required

We bought a  set of eyepieces 1.25" as this seems to be the standard size anyway but these do not fit into the diagonal mirror fitting, they seem to be the exact same diameter as each other so does not fit. Ive read about barrow lenses would this perhaps be what is missing or are they purely optional lenses that only increase magnification and should not be required ? I'm even wondering if the diagonal mirror is perhaps from another scope

Thanks in Advance

john

post-36692-0-78644100-1397683187_thumb.j

Hi John, welcome to SGL.

Found this http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/Telestar/TelestarRB60.pdf but that also mentions standard 1.25" fit eyepieces.  Is it possible that your scope has a 1.25" fit diagonal that has an adapter fitted to take the smaller 0.96" fit eyepieces ?  If so, removing that adapter could sort it.  If there is no adapter, what is the size of  the part of the diagonal that fits into the end of the scope ?  Is it the same as the eyepieces you have, or the smaller size already mentioned ?

A barlow lens is just an accessory to use in combination with an eyepiece to increase the magnification, the scope should work fine without a barlow ( if you get eyepieces to fit of course ) A barlow is no use on its own, only when used in combination with an eyepiece.

If the scope only takes the smaller 0.96" diagonal, then you would need to source that size to fit, and that smaller size is rarely used these days but was popular years ago. You may find a helpful dealer that has a 0.96" fit diagonal, best to try one of the older more established dealers. Maybe try Barry Watts at Beacon Hill Telescopes, a helpful person who's been around for a long time - there are others of course. But you'd also need the same fitting eyepieces........

Another option could be to find an adapter that goes from 0.96" to 1.25", they were made at one time. If the scope takes the smaller size accessories, then also made at one time was a hybrid diagonal that had the smaller size to fit the scope, and took the larger sized 1.25" eyepieces.

There's ebay of course.

Perhaps let us know the size of the focuser you have, remove the diagonal and measure the size of the part that goes into the focuser, or the focuser itself, its got to be either 0.96" or 1.25", then maybe folk here can advise further, I'll check back here tomorrow.

Hope all that makes sense......getting confused myself..... :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Agree with Ed the eyspieces should fit into the diagonal, Meade supplied their standard eyepiece pair, a 9mm and a 25mm.

So check the diagonal for an adaptor, thinking that someone had the older 0.965" eyepieces and got an adaptor to use them in a 1.25" unit. There is not a grub screw or anything in the tube that is preventing the eyepiece going in?

The diagonal has not had a bad knock and is a little out of shape. If they fall over the diagonal can be the bit that takes the knock.

I may be wrong here but if you suspect it is out of shape take the diagonal out and try an eyepiece in the position the diagonal went, if the fit is snug then I would suspect a knock, you will need another diagonal (just an inexpensive one). You will need a diagonal to get the correct length.

Another question (just in case) what eyepieces did you purchase - brand, focal length and any other name on them please. Do not see how you could have got 2" ones as they are big and generally the size of a coke can.

Looks a nice scope to get going with, should be easy to use and Jupiter should be fairly good in it, try 60x but possibly you will get a bit more like 80x to 100x.

Thanks I'll take another look tonight I'm pretty sure I got the correct eyepieces 1.25 as supplier was who recommended this form I think I did try the eyepieces without the diagonal but will check again

Thanks

It was just a thought but really little chance, a 2" eyepiece is BIG, also they cost a fair bit, they are literally the size of a can of coke. So it is difficult to not be sure.

Do the eyepiece "almost" look like they fit or is it a big difference.

I have a couple of Meades and the eyepieces are all a pretty loose fit, as I do not really use Meade eyepieces I assume that the diagonal they have is big enough for just about anything.

Is there anyone one else around you with a scope from whom you could try a couple of their eyepieces.

In the simplest term either the diagonal is too small or the chrome bit on the eyepiece is too big - (?) There is a chrome bit on the lower end of the eyepieces isn't there ???.

Horrible thought is someone has given you eyepieces without the 1.25" chrome bit that inserts into the diagonal.

Any chance of a picture of the eyepieces ??

Ok went home and measured the diagonal and scope connections and they are actually 1.25" outer diameter or (OD) as the manual puts it, but the hole for the eyepieces are actually .96" in size this is where my confusion came from, i did not realise .96"  was even an option so you thanks for getting me on the right track, it seems easier and cheaper for me to purchase a .96" to 1.25" adaptor than to replace the eyepieces i bought.

I guess one of the pitfalls of buying an unknown Telescope with no eyepieces :-)

Appreciate your quick responses. Hope it all works out and eventually find myself getting more into hobby before i fully invest in a better telescope in future.

Ok went home and measured the diagonal and scope connections and they are actually 1.25" outer diameter or (OD) as the manual puts it, but the hole for the eyepieces are actually .96" in size this is where my confusion came from, i did not realise .96"  was even an option so you thanks for getting me on the right track, it seems easier and cheaper for me to purchase a .96" to 1.25" adaptor than to replace the eyepieces i bought.

I guess one of the pitfalls of buying an unknown Telescope with no eyepieces :-)

Appreciate your quick responses. Hope it all works out and eventually find myself getting more into hobby before i fully invest in a better telescope in future.

Hi again John.  If you have established that your scope will take 1.25" accessories, then it's easier and better if you get a standard 1.25" diagonal, especially as you have purchased 1.25" fitting eyepieces as you mention in post # 1.

That is if I've understood what you have said correctly.

Regards, Ed.

A search for a hybrid diagonal indicates that there are a number in the US, you can get them via ebay.co.uk but the 3 that appeared say they are shipped from the US. Antares seem to be the manufacturer. Could email Rothervalley as they do a range of aAntares items and may have one around.

The hybrid is 0.965 to 1.25 diagonal, use "0.965 to 1.25 diagonal" as a search string in google.

Think there a couple on TS, branded TS, but they seem to be erecting diagonals and I would suggest you leave these alone.

Scope'n'Skies used to do one but it is out of stock.

Get that ruler out again and check that you do not have a hybrid already that goes from 1.25 (at the scope end) to 0.965 (at the diagonal eyepiece end).

It would be odd because it would be easier to fit a 1.25 at both, unless the previous person got a 1.25 to 0.965 to use old 0.965 eyepieces they had.

You would be better with a diagonal and not an adaptor for the present diagonal - well in my opinion, but that isn't worth much.

Hi again, Just wanted to thank you for your great advice, managed to get the .96 <> 1.25 adaptor and everything is working great, appreciate your time and pointing me in correct direction, looking forward to it getting dark and clear skies :-)

Hi again, Just wanted to thank you for your great advice, managed to get the .96 <> 1.25 adaptor and everything is working great, appreciate your time and pointing me in correct direction, looking forward to it getting dark and clear skies :-)

Great to hear you are sorted, wishing you clear skies in bonny Scotland.

Regards, Ed.

• 5 years later...