SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pixinsight Batch Preprocessing problem

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem. I can not get the Batch Pre processing script to either recognise or apply the flats. It did fine while integrating the Ha files but it does not accept the Flats for either the Lum or RGB files. I made a master flat manually  but  the result was the same.

I have posted on the PI forum too. I attach a screen capture of the BPP Script with the error message.

Many thanks and regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-33641600-1397677044_thumb.j

Hi,

Just in case anyone else may have encountered this problem, it is apparently to do with the BPP ( PI ) being very fussy with fits file headers. From what I have gathered so far just short of manually editing the headers in a fits file editor there is no other way, even if I load the flats as custom files into BPP and mark them as flats it does not work, so  if anyone has any ideas I am all ears.

Many  thanks and regards,

A.G

Hi,

Which software are using to capture the flats with?  Surely this application should be setting the 'IMAGETYP' setting in the fits header to 'Flat Field' ?  Don't think there is a way of batch editing the fits header of all the files in one go though....

cheers

Nick

Hi,

Which software are using to capture the flats with?  Surely this application should be setting the 'IMAGETYP' setting in the fits header to 'Flat Field' ?  Don't think there is a way of batch editing the fits header of all the files in one go though....

cheers

Nick

It was captured with Nebulasity 3 but the filter wheel is a Xagyl and Neb uses the Ascom driver to communicate with the wheel, the filter positions and the corresponding " Filter Name " are set via the dialog box in the properties of the Ascom driver but iI think that Neb embeds this information in the fits header and then the  PI rejects the flats if the filter names do not match up. The problem is that the Custom File load up in the BPP also fails to force the flats to be acceped, very strange.

A.G

HI,

This post talks about a similar issue:-

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=6407.0

Have you got the very latest version of Pixinsight released a few days ago?  Maybe use the Pixinsight - File - Fits Header and examine the contents.  If its wrong, it must be either Xagyl ascot driver unless something weird is happening in Neb.... 

Cheers

Nick

Hi

Pixinsight is very fussy in file naming for flats etc as it wants to match everything together hence it does not like using one flat for everything it expects you to get individual flats for everything ( strictly the correct way)

so as you say use the the custom file load but when you do this everthing must match your light i.e name exposure time etc

and the syntax must be perfect upper case lower case dots in the right place --- get this right and it will work

I will raise this with the pixinsight team to find a better work around

Regards

Harry

HI,

This post talks about a similar issue:-

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=6407.0

Have you got the very latest version of Pixinsight released a few days ago?  Maybe use the Pixinsight - File - Fits Header and examine the contents.  If its wrong, it must be either Xagyl ascot driver unless something weird is happening in Neb.... 

Cheers

Nick

Hi and many thanks Nick,

Yes, I do have the latest version of PI and I have used fits header tool to examine the headers, it has a T symbol indicating the files adhere to the fits standard but as yet no joy, I guess short of editing the files one by one ( I do use 51~71 flat files) I can not see aant other way but this is very time consuming , the point is that the DSS will use the flats with no problem but it has problem aligning RGB files while stacking, for example If I use a RED file as reference in alignment and stacking for teh GB files the result does not seem to have been aligned or registerd properly but that is another issue.

Regards,

A.G

Hi

Pixinsight is very fussy in file naming for flats etc as it wants to match everything together hence it does not like using one flat for everything it expects you to get individual flats for everything ( strictly the correct way)

so as you say use the the custom file load but when you do this everthing must match your light i.e name exposure time etc

and the syntax must be perfect upper case lower case dots in the right place --- get this right and it will work

I will raise this with the pixinsight team to find a better work around

Regards

Harry

Hi Harry,

Many thanks for your reply and it would be good if you could get the PI team to "dumb  it down a little" just for idiots like me I guess. Great to hear from you anyway. Meanwhile I may use NEB to get around the problem for now but it does take for ever stacking  LRGB manually.

Regards,

A.G

Archived