Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars from London 15/04

zicklurky

Decided to dip my toes into planetary imaging, so I got a second hand C11 last week, and loving it! After getting the right connectors and collimating in the dark (never collimated before, that was fun, haha), I got something I'm pretty happy with. Now if only I could get Saturn half as sharp!

post-29973-0-26846600-1397667021.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Oh I forgot the details in my rush out the door!

C11 with a 2.5x powermate, QHY5L-II mono and Baader RGB filters. I used red for the luminance.

R: 5ms, 396 gain, stacked 2000 out of 4700

G: 7.6ms, 516 gain, stacked 1000 out of 4700

B: 10ms, 811 gain, stacked 1400 out of 4700

Captured in FireCapture, stacked in AS!2, processed in Registax 6 and PS.

I think I way overdid the blue and green as I had to scale these back quite a bit in the RGB stack, so if the weather holds tonight I'll try shorter subs for those. Any thoughts? What exposure lengths do you pros use? :)

Thanks! Yeah I'm finding Saturn very difficult indeed, I'd love to get something that wasn't a big smudge.

Hi Steve. Loving the scope, I see what you mean - it's quite heavy! The collimation was a little off, just needed a bit of a fiddle.

Took some more shots last night experimenting with different settings, looking forward to playing with them over the weekend.

Amazing detail there for any set-up never mind a new one.

A good reference for the C11.

As a relative newbie - what was the detail like visually?  At the moment I'm just getting a fuzzy disk with my 300P DOB and stock eyepieces.

Adrian

With the red filter it was quite good visually, it was reasonably crisp. Green was so-so, and blue was a mess! I tried a luminance filter and it was only ok - the red filter definitely helps with getting details.

Archived