Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Im New

Kosh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newb? Maybe? As in Newbie, just starting out.

Noob tends to be a derogatory term for someone who's been around for ages and still doesn't know what they're doing.

That'd be me!  :wink:

Welcome to SGL, have a look at Stellarium, a free program for your 'puter!

Hi Kosh and welcome to SGL :)

Nice first scope the 8" dob is. Have a go for the Leo triplet, Jupiter, Mars M81/M82 for your first session tonight. Couple of planets and galaxies won't do you any harm. Find them by downloading Stellarium - it's free and once configured with your coordinates it'll tell you where everything is right over your location.

http://www.stellarium.org/

For a regular guide to whats up there - get either Sky at Night magazine or Astronomy Now. The center page monthly sky guides tell you what's current and interesting. :)

Im a noob, is that the right phrase?

Anyway bought a 8" Dob, just need to kow whats in the sky tonight and how to find it.

:)

Hi Kosh, welcome to SGL.  Download a copy of free planetarium software 'Stellarium' here: http://www.stellarium.org/  Otherwise take a look at the Jodrell Bank website here: http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/   NASA Spaceweather is also a good website for instant stuff: http://www.spaceweather.com/

EDIT: Kim, you type quicker than I do!

I have Stellarium and have been giving it a whirl (I used to lurk) but sometimes I think Ive bought a potato launcher, the problem I have is I dont easily find interesting stuff, I cant find anything as I really am a noob, "clot", lol

One of the simplest ways is to do what they call "star hopping" the ideal is to move from one thing to another using the stars as guides. Search star hopping in google and you will find a lot of good easy to do routes that will start you off at a nice easy bright star and move you around the sky. It is a superb way of learning the night sky as well. Spend some time identifying some good easy bright stars that you can see easily, find out what they are by using whatever you use as a sky map, then find out what constellations they are in etc etc, you will grasp it, and it is the knowing that stimulates the hobby.

For a better orientation on the sky Kosh, learn where the Plough is (Ursa Major) and how to use it to point to the North Star. It's essential you know your compass points so that's a good place to start.

The turn south and identify where and what the ecliptic is, which side of it is East and West, and where the meridian falls across the sky. Just knowing those three things will help you immensely with Stellarium.

Once you know a few constellations and realise how they are moving from East to West, you'll have a much better idea of where stuff is and how to find it at any time of night by just looking up.  :)

(Tip - I use a ground marker for south - a telegraph pole at the end of my drive lol)

I have Stellarium and have been giving it a whirl (I used to lurk) but sometimes I think Ive bought a potato launcher, the problem I have is I dont easily find interesting stuff, I cant find anything as I really am a noob, "clot", lol

Start on the big stuff like the sun and/or the moon. It's easy to find but be warned, you might get hooked and not bother with the rest of it!

I got the book Turn Left At Orion, a Philips Planisphere today so that may help, I also have these apps, Google Sky Map, Lunar Phase, Star Chart and I still cant see much, you see I look up and see so much stuff I get confused as to what I am really looking at and frustration sets in, theres just too much to see, crazy aint it... :(

I got the book Turn Left At Orion, a Philips Planisphere today so that may help, I also have these apps, Google Sky Map, Lunar Phase, Star Chart and I still cant see much, you see I look up and see so much stuff I get confused as to what I am really looking at and frustration sets in, theres just too much to see, crazy aint it... :(

You need to slow down...you can't do the whole universe in a night!

Pick one object per observing session and set out to find it. Try drawing it too it will give you focus. You need to be looking at one object for a good while before you start to tease out the detail and really appreciate what you are looking at. Astronomy is a slow art, skills gained over time. Have patience and you will reap the rewards.

"I look up and see so much stuff I get confused as to what I am really looking at and frustration sets in"

You won't be the first or the last to say this - we all go through that stage. Take it a step at a time and learn the basics and you'll soon be finding stuff you would never have thought possible. And try to do only a few objects at a time - maybe half a dozen per session - in six months you'll know approximately 40 objects you can point to straight away. You also need to learn how to identify the correct seeing conditions and how they affect your views - it's not always about just the scope. :)

OK chaps what could I see tonight for example, just one object, can I see M5 for example or will my scope not be powerful enough, is M67 too distant?

What would guys suggest as I am at a loss. :(

OK chaps what could I see tonight for example, just one object, can I see M5 for example or will my scope not be powerful enough, is M67 too distant?

What would guys suggest as I am at a loss. :(

Start on the easier objects rather than the deep sky fuzzies! Would Jupiter suit? Nice big planet with four bright moons. You should see the banding of Jupiter too. Try drawing what you see and become familiar with this one glorious object. Maybe try Mars next although that will be a far tougher assignment as the visible disk is so much smaller.

M5 is very low at 8pm - if you hang around outside long enough you'll see it rise high in the sky. M67 at the same time is high in the south having just crossed the meridian, so you'll have a better chance at that. Between the two is Mars, Leo Triplet, and Coma Berenices makes a nice little tour. Over in the West Jupiter is the brightest object. M81/M82 are very high on the zenith and well worth a go. Your dob should see all of those very nicely. :)

Start on the easier objects rather than the deep sky fuzzies! Would Jupiter suit? Nice big planet with four bright moons. You should see the banding of Jupiter too. Try drawing what you see and become familiar with this one glorious object. Maybe try Mars next although that will be a far tougher assignment as the visible disk is so much smaller.

I have found Jupiter quite easily as a few weeks or so ago it was sat near the moon and was easily found, and Google Sky Map confirmed what I saw, and Mars came into view the other night, I just want to see more than planets so I can get familiar with the heavens :)

M5 is very low at 8pm - if you hang around outside long enough you'll see it rise high in the sky. M67 at the same time is high in the south having just crossed the meridian, so you'll have a better chance at that. Between the two is Mars, Leo Triplet, and Coma Berenices makes a nice little tour. Over in the West Jupiter is the brightest object. M81/M82 are very high on the zenith and well worth a go. Your dob should see all of those very nicely. :)

My main bug bear is that I get confused as to what I am actually looking at, you see I see dots of light in different scales of brightness and find myself going off course and the going back and forth from finderscope to scope and ofcourse the scope shows the sky in a different orientation ( I think ) or is my mind playing tricks :/

Hi Kosh and welcome- The planisphere is a great idea to see what constellations are easily visible - I still enjoy a quick look at one in order to plan imaging targets -it also gives a great idea of the seasonal rotation of the the constellations which is great for making it all familiar-  best wishes -Tony

Archived