Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first (semi) succesful DSO

And after a few days of trials and tribulations and an extremely steep learning curve I have produced my first picture that I am happy with.

Obviously there is massive amounts that I need to "fix" but as a proof of concept I am extremely happy to at least have something that looks like a bad quality picture as opposed to something that doesn't even resemble anything.

I have included my steps that I used throughout, if anyone can suggest anything obvious for me to add to improve things I would greatly appreciate it.  Currently the picture has a swathe of light surrounding the nebula that I cannot fully remove without affecting the nebula itself, and it is very grainy with stars being globular, but it is a start.

Equip:

Celestron C8 on a CG5 GOTO

Unmodified EOS1000d

Imaging:

2 star align

4 calibration stars (maximum allowed)

30 second exposures x 35

10 x 30 second darks

Fairly light polluted skies with a full moon

Have to manual press camera shutter, 10 second timer.  (I really really really need a bulb remote and / or a laptop.)

ISO 800

Focusing also took maybe 40 minutes.... Live View plus trying to use Bhatinov filter is very slow and difficult.

Stacking:

Deep Sky Stacker

24 succesful images stacked.

No histography amended in DSS as all 3 mountains lined up already.

Saved as 70 meg Tif

GIMP:

In Colour levels, moved left and right sliders to start of "mountains" for each colour (Technical term?)

In colour levels on the black / white slider moved slider to the right a fair bit as the image was far too bright, I moved it until it was fairly dark.

In Curves I only changed things very slightly as the natural curve was about the best I could get.

I also tried (and failed) to do a duplicate stack, Guassian Blur and then Subtract as per a walkthrough I found online but all that did was remove the nebula totally.

Image then saved as JPG.  Then opened / resized in Paint to make it under 1 Meg for upload.

post-36407-0-36689900-1397647758_thumb.j

I did try M81 the night before, but it was just too close to the moon to get anything usable.  One for in a few weeks.  The Crab is also looking over some trees as opposed to houses from my south facing garden so in theory should get less light pollution and heat haze.  I was trying to find something near the zenith to photograph but that really is an empty part of the sky!

With any luck I will be able to get another 50 odd exposures tonight to add to the stack.  Thanks for the advice on Flats, not something I have even looked into yet!  I will definitely read up and try and add some.

I've never been very successful with M1 as there's not many guide stars around it visible to an off axis guider - I'll have to try again with my new guide system

Yours is a good start - needs more data but don't knock it - also a few flats I think

Great first effort, same starting issues as me, same imaging process and same camera.  Yet to image with flats so can only offer that I too was advised by members on here to use them.

I picked up a (bulb remote) from ebay, £14.49 brand new and it allows for delay, exposer time, intervals and exposer numbers.  Ideal to set up your imaging session.

Link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Lapse-Intervalometer-Remote-Timer-Shutter-fr-Canon-EOS-60D-550D-1000D-1100D-/221359439063?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item338a0cfcd7

I was also advised to build a library of darks to cut down on imaging time, this will free up the time now required for taking flats. 

Archived