SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I can't see anything in the sky at night...

Besides a full Moon and details from close buildings that I already saw in the morning while testing. The image from the Moon could be seen with fine details.

My equipment is a Skywatcher Maksutov 90 with a 10mm eyepice. I tried more than an hour to point into different locations from the sky (not using a tripod yet - just an 80cm high table) but couldn't see any planet, star or DSO. It was blind for anything else.

I want to ask you if this scenario is possible considering two things: the light pollution from my area and the fact the last nights are cloudy. It didn't rain and it's not raining for days, but in the previous day for example the entire sky was covered with clouds 5 minutes after I tried to see anything. However yesterday there were spots where you could clearly point and no clouds were near the pinpoints of light.

Yet somehow the telescope was incapable of seeing anything. Am I missing something, perhaps not handling this telescope properly, or when there's the slightest sign of bad weather this is to be expected?

Hmmm.... I think you have a learning curve to go through here - you need a tripod for sure and you also need a cloud free sky. Then you can start learning about the "seeing" which varies from one session to the next. You can't really hope to see much at all unless you're on a firm mount - certainly not to the point you can identify stuff with a 10mm eyepiece (except maybe the moon). Look up "astronomy seeing" and "telescope magnification":)

Suspect that the scope is not focuses so no real image and nothing to get in half sight to adjust focus on.

A Mak will have a narrow field of view so actually getting anything in view will be difficult - the moon is a smaller then many thing, it just happens to be bright, and the brain does something with bright objects - it translates them as bigger.

Forget the 10mm for now, you should have had a 25mm eyepiece as well use that but I suspect even then results will be difficult to get.

You are going to need a tripod/mount and preferably a motor driven one as the skies rotate and things disappear out of view surprisingly fast.

Can only echo what has already been said above, there seems to be a few factors contributing to you not seeing anything.

Stability

Focus

"Learning curve"

Stability - Definitely need a mount of some kind, by what you right I imagine you sat at a table leaning against it trying to hand hold your telescope? If this is correct then you will be going down a VERY frustrating road, no good if your are finding you feet. Doesn't need necessarily need to be all singing all dancing mount, I'm currently between mounts so in the interim I'm using a video tripod with a sturdy head, very reasonable results.

Focus - really follows on from the above, if you cannot hold it still enough then I would imagine it to be very difficult to focus while trying to support it. If you cannot achieve focus then unfortunately you will see nothing.

Learning curve - we all go through this and most are still and will always be going through this. Its best not to try and dodge clouds, rather wait until clear night and plan your viewing. You can download a free program called Stellarium which will show you what is visible in you location at any specified time. That way you can go out with a purpose, see you object and move onto the next. The chances of happening onto a subject, scanning the sky hang holding is very unlikely I'm afraid.

But keep at it, it can be very rewarding and it will all come together and you'll soon be having jaw dropping moments, but to get there, there are some must haves and does as mentioned above.

Good luck, keep trying :0)

Rob

Do you maybe have a camera tripod you could use to hold the scope still?

I am waiting for the tripod to arrive the next weeks. Still I was amazed by the fact this telescope could not see anything in the sky besides the Moon and a few buildings. All the time I was feeling like an idiot not being able to point at dozens of stars around me and thought perhaps there was too much light in the environment or the weather conditions did really prevent any observation. I have a way of pointing this telescope using Stellarium to specific targets (GO-TO), but for my first test I was thinking it would be possible to not use the computer.

Today I configured the Red Dot, will see what happens in my next attempt. But next time I won't be trying in a partial cloudy night.

I can see you're keen to get going as soon as poss - but it's a bit like trying to play a round of golf without a golf trolley and carrying a full set of clubs by hand. You really do need the full kit to get going properly so I'd suggest you hang on till the mount arrives. You'll find the scope will work fine once fully assembled.

Try using some binoculars on the night sky while you wait - it's hard but not impossible to keep an object steady in the eyepieces - but much harder with a scope and no tripod/mount. :)

The Baader zoom is a very decent eyepiece - significant step up from supplied eye pieces - and it's so flexible having many different uses that I use it all the time. It's like a jack of all trades and master of none - but makes a very good account of itself. Don't hesitate - it's an excellent purchase to get anyone going with a new scope. :)

Archived