SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New to spectroscopy: query comparing software

I have only recently made my first forays into spectroscopy - it was going to be my focus at SGL9 but there was something wrong with the sky. Since getting home I have had a couple of clear nights recording spectra. I started off downloading and trying to fathom my way through VSpec, then ISIS, then I joined a Yahoo group where Ken recommended BASS, then I downloaded RSpec, which has nice friendly video tutorials, so I bought that to fast track up the learning curve.

I am using an ED80 with an SA100 and DMK41, although I have also managed to record a decent avi on my 250mm goto dob (needed some careful counterweighting).

Although this forum makes a lot of references to the various software, what I would like to know is how they broadly compare (apart from free vs cost) in terms of functionality so that I can determine whether, in the light of the low resolution I am currently using, I should be looking to go beyond RSpec.

Allan

Hi Allan

Welcome to the world of wiggly lines :grin: . It does grab a hold of you this spectro lark. When I started out some time ago using a SA100 the only software was Vspec and sometimes it worked sometimes not then along came Rspec and I really enjoyed the simplicity it offered and still use it now and then. I tried ISIS when it first came out and found it a very steep learning curve (although now I love it!) and then John`s BASS which really is the best all rounder for spectroscopy. When you progress beyind the Star Analyser you no longer have the luxury of a first order star for calibration and so need to manually id lines and enter their wavelengths which all of the packages do except ISIS. ISIS has a feature for using an Alpy calibration module which has an Argon/neon lamp for calibration. I have made an adapter for my scope which has an Argon/neon lamp in and with ISIS you just load your lights, master darks, master offsets (Bias) and your shot of the Argon/neon spectrum and viola it does an automatic calibration and gives me near pixel accuracy. John`s BASS is really hard to beat and has a superb manual.

HTH

cheers

Steve

Hi again Allan

just to add, when I started using the Star Analyser before I got my Atik I used a great little DMK21 mono camera and used a software package called `Astrovideo` written by the guy from COAA in Portugal and it allowed AVI`s to be saved as fits files among many other features. It was an excellent little camera but had a firewire interface which is no longer used and the fits format was very useful for spectroscopy. Not sure if Astrovideo is still available but it had a 30day trial period!.

Steve

+1 from me for BASS Project.

John has done a great job on this software (I currently use it for all my Nova Cen submissions)

ISIS is very good but IMHO is too focused on the Shelyak products (ALPY/LISA/Lhires III)and when you use other spectroscopes (DADOS/Spectra-L200 etc.) there's a bit more work involved.

I still use Valerie's VSpec - it's been around for years and after a while you do get used to it's foibles!!

Try BASS, see how you go...

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astrobodger/info

• 4 months later...

Last 2 years I took low dispersion spectra with an SA100 trough an LX200. Processing the (stacked AVI) images with VSpec. VSpec does a good job for me, but somehow the logic of the program does not naturally fit mine. Sometimes it also crashes. Now I'm trying BASS and it looks this is much better for me. If you start it deserves a try.   ( I use AIP4win for a quick exploration of the data, but that is not a replacement for a full spectrographic package.)

By the way, imageing spectral phenomena I only know from publications is for me very enjoyable.

Johan.

if you use the SA100 with a reducer on the Lx200 and adjust the spacing to around 70mm, you'll get close to optimum results, depending on the camera.

John's BASS Project has come a long way in the past couple of years and is now as good as any other freeware spectral software.

Onwards and Upwards

Archived