SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello and delurking

neural

Hello all,

I've been hanging around reading the forum for a long time but never got round to registering. Well, here I am - hi! I got the bug about three years ago and spent 18 months having a lot of fun with 10x50 binoculars, but eventually succumbed to equipment fever. I'm still on my first scope though (what am I saying...). 

I live in south London under mag 4.5 skies which one might have imagined would dampen the enthusiasm, but I've become a big fan of double stars... and actually I still just enjoy getting to know the sky and learning my way around. 

Thanks for all the interesting discussion on the forums, and hopefully I'll find time to add my 2p during the occasional slightly hazy sky moments we get round here now and then. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Neural. Binoculars are a great way to start, and learning your way around the night sky is really worth while as it saves a lot of time when you start looking for specific targets.

I feel sure that the time will come when your 2p worth will be appreciated.

Good luck and clear skies.

Jason

Hello from metoo :smiley: .

I waited far too long before I bought my first scope, and not that long before I bought my secoond...

Since you`ve been lurking around I'm pretty sure you know about Stellarium already.

Also : Reading the brilliant "What can I expect to See.." thread under 'Getting started with observing', helped me alot.

Rune

Hello from metoo :smiley: .

I waited far too long before I bought my first scope, and not that long before I bought my secoond...

Since you`ve been lurking around I'm pretty sure you know about Stellarium already.

Also : Reading the brilliant "What can I expect to See.." thread under 'Getting started with observing', helped me alot.

Rune

Thanks guys for the really warm welcome! Stellarium - use it practically every day, what a great piece of software. 

I reckon my SkyWatcher 100ED is the right tool for the job; a big lightbucket dob would be a great companion for it if I had lovely dark skies full of galaxies, but since the fact of the matter is that I hardly need a torch to read a star map when I'm observing, I don't think I'll be going down that road any time soon. But... it would be nice to resolve globs and eke a bit more detail out of the planets ... and split a sub-arcsecond double before I die ... maybe I need a nice big mak ... must resist ... resist ...

Archived