Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher skyliner dob technical help

Halcyon

Guys

Whilst a keen astronomer I am not the most technical person in the world. I need some help with my mount. My skyliner truss dob with tracker mount has stopped working properly tonight. The lazy Susan base of the mount normally has a lot of friction when I move it manually - you can hear the motors. However now the friction has gone and it moves freely without motor sound. Needless to say the handset no longer moves the mount around either.

So...in Very Simple terms, what do I need to do to fix it. I'm guessing something needs adjusting/tightening.

Thanks in advance for your help....

there is a clutch in there somewhere which is probably slipping ... i've looked and looked but can't find info on it.

I remember a thread on here about it a few years back.

Maybe someone else will remember

Good luck 

Thanks knobby. That would make sense actually. Although it's got the tracking handset I do tend to manually move the scope a lot - although this is fine according to the manual. This pressure probably doesn't help the unit though.

Thanks

Knobby,

The pictures certainly help. My German is not what it once was....in fact it never has been there ...took French instead for O level. However with a little effort I could get something from it with an online dictionary.

Cheers for trying.

Knobby

Managed to get that document translated with google and had a go at my mount today. Adjusted the clutch nut but still no friction on the base. So...nervously kept stripping down until I found the fault. Motor was running but no power getting to the big cog in the base. Eventually opened up the gearbox....more nervously. There were 2 cogs on a small axle which should have been attached but were not. There was the problem. Soldered together and now working fine! Hopefully it will last.

So whilst your suggestion was not correct, the document you sent me especially the diagrams on it were really helpful and gave me the confidence to have a go at the problem.

Huge thanks!

Archived