Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Mosaic in Ha LOHa and DMK21AU618AS with Flats

Psychobilly

To think I almost sold the scope a month back because I was fed up of it not getting used...  I can't get decent time on the sun during  the week until BST starts...and then it's from round 4pm at the earliest

The 616 based camera has also made a big difference the exposue today was 1/2500s and gain at 260 (min) single exposure with a bit of Highlight and Shadow processing in PS CC  to bring out some prom detail even at that fast exposure time...

Peter...

I still shudder at the thought that I nearly sold my ED120  :eek: Makes a lovely white light scope :laugh: I've only been into solar for a year and a bit but as far as I remember, there can be some half decent conditions in the evenings in Summer :laugh:

Well done on the rapid progress!

To think I almost sold the scope a month back because I was fed up of it not getting used...  I can't get decent time on the sun during  the week until BST starts...and then it's from round 4pm at the earliest

Peter...

Thanks for the comments - I think the progress is down to the encouragement and more importantly support and advice that freely given down here :)

Next things to look at are automating the slews for the mosaic panes and a tweak to the polar alignment  as I get a small stitching discrepancy over the time it takes to manually scan and capture the whole disc. It's a lot less than it was after tweaking the PA on Monday night  but it's still there...

Peter...

Wowwwww!!!!! stunning work :) :) :) the sun is alive in this shot. Beautifully done in every way :) :) :) is another coming today :)

Alexandra

If the clouds play ball yes  - Thanks again for the help both in open posts and in the PM exchange about the flats: with the 618 I found that a double thickness of a ziplock sandwich bag did the trick)

Now the processing is essentially automated the whole process from capturing the panes through to finished false coloured image takes around 1hour...

Peter...

If the clouds play ball yes  - Thanks again for the help both in open posts and in the PM exchange about the flats: with the 618 I found that a double thickness of a ziplock sandwich bag did the trick)

Now the processing is essentially automated the whole process from capturing the panes through to finished false coloured image takes around 1hour...

Peter...

That sounds intriguing Peter... care to share????

Helen

Having a silly PC helps...

Capture 1200 frame Y800 AVI's  at 60 fps with the DMK21AU618AS  manually slew with the EQASCOM handbox  - I find it more reliable than the joypad - I want to get EQMosaic working next

Solar flat  with plastic bag in front of ERF  5000 frame  Y800 AVI at 60 fps with gain adjusted to have similar brightness to the normal captures

Solar flat created in AS!2

Solar flat selected in AS!2

All the light panes selected in the Open Dialog of AS!2

In surface mode first pane is Analysed and an arbitrary AP selected

When you click Stack AS!2 works through all the images using a full AP Grid across the entire disk portion of the video - the  number of AP's will vary with disk coverage...

In PS CC I use File ->  Automate -> Photomerge to mosaic the Tiff's that have been output by AS!2 I use Auto with Vignette and Geometric Correction options enabled

I copy merge the resulting Disc  into a new Tiff - Each pane is on a separate Layer in PS CC after the Photomerge

Load that  Tiff into Registrax6.1 and apply wavelets saving to a new Tiff

Load that Tiff into PS CC and apply focus magic Plugin (de-convolution)  then tweak  using  Image - Adjustments -> Highlights and Shadows  option Save as a new Tiff and then use the Smudge tool to drag the "background" to the limits of the canvas - I do this as a series of "spokes"  using a diffuse brush...

False Colour in PS CC and save as a new Tiff  , a Full Scale Jpeg then Resize to Half Scale and Save again as a new Jpeg...

Peter...

Yep they certainly do... If it wasn't for the fact that the PC eats the data I would be using much smaller overlaps and fewer panes... It will crunch 30GB of AVI's into the finished Mosaic in around an hour..

Even if I get EQMosaic working I will still probably keep a 50% overlap and possibly the spiral search option...

At the moment I Slew based on features in a row column pattern then go around the outside of the disc leaving plenty of room for the proms...

Here's the PC spec...

I did go a little bit mad this time but didn't go for the "latest and Fastest" tech but what I considered to be  a reasonable  VFM v Price  compromise at that moment in time...  Mainly bought from overclockers.co.uk

Asus P9X79 WS Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard

Intel 4930K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge-E) Socket LGA2011 Processor O/C'd to 4.0 GHz Air Cooled with Prolimatech Black Megahalems CPU Cooler - they use this c ooler in their 4.2GHz Air cooled O/C Bundles

Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 64GB (8x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Quad Channel Kit

2x Gigabyte GTX750 4GB VRAM cards in SLI Running 27" Dell Ultrasharp 10 BIt Monitor at 2560x1440

Corsair AX860i Digital ATX '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply

System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case with USB3.0 - Black

256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD for OS (Win 7 X64 Ultimate)

2TB WD Black HDD + 128 GB as Cached Pair... for Apps, Games, Temporary "input" files for processing

4TB WB Black HDD - for Data

3TB Hitachi HDD - For Data

LG Super Multi Blue BD-ROM

Peter...

PS - It's not to bad for gaming either although it was spec'd as a Video/photo editing pc ...

My Obs PC is struggling a bit  (6 years old and subject to lots of moisture problems when my obs was leaking..) so I may upgrade.  It might  make sense to upgrade the 3-yr-old study pc and move the current one into the obs - although a small factor one for the obs is another option....  

Helen

My current study pc is an i5-2400 3.1Gz processor which was chosen for some processing speed (and compared with the pc it replaced it flies!).  Not sure how far things have moved on since then though.

Yes, Mike does use a Mac.  This would just be for me.

Helen

That's a 4 core 4 thread Processor....

http://ark.intel.com/products/52207/Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

compared to a 6 core 12 thread "unlocked" processor -  which can be overclocked nicely

http://ark.intel.com/products/77780/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=i7-4930k

Looking at the benchmarks it's at least three times faster...

Peter...

Thats just raw CPU power if you add in the faster memory  , SSD, Fast HDD then it will probably be more than that...

Just about to start todays full disc and proms

...look forward to the pictures Peter  :grin:

Archived