Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alt/Az Imaging Grab & Go

Mav359

Hi guys

I bought a Mak127 for visual use whilst my imaging rig is doing its thing but its so small that i was also thinking about making it my grab & go imaging rig for Luna/Solar/Planets, no DSO's.

I was thinking of buying a QHY123 to do this with. 

With the smaller time required when imaging solar system objects has anyone any experiences with doing this on an Alt/Az mount? What kind of results did you get?

Cheers

Hi Alan,

I've used my Alt/Az mak127 to do planetary with a QHY5 and my mintron video camers with some reasonable results.

gallery_20658_1877_1338790536_15626.jpeg

This was with the mintron (hence the banding on the image, a video artifact).

i want to do more with it as I think it's a good combination, small, light, portable and quick to get set up.

Hi <br />

<br />

I've had some success with bright DSO and an AZ mount. <br />

<br />

I think the biggest problem will be pointing accuracy at the focal lengths needed for solar system imaging. I got round this by using a flip mirror and a 32mm eyepiece to centre the target. <br />

<br />

<br />

Once on target you should be fine to capture several minutes of video but watch for field rotation. <br />

<br />

<br />

HTH<br />

<br />

<br />

Paul

Hi

I had a CPC800 until recently and normally used a Canon550d with it as it is so easy to use in conjunction with Backyard EOS.

This is an image of Jupiter (obviously) that I took in March if it's any help. You can see Ganymede in transit.

Peter

post-35423-0-97410900-1397832091_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I regularly use my 6se for planetary and lunar imaging. I have used it with small sensor web cams as well as my canon 1100d. The little web cam is not easy to get the image in frame first time but I found an ep that is parfocal with the webcam (or near as) and do a quick swap once the target is aligned. Most if my images are taken with x 3 xcel Barlow that dies the trick and I have even images at x 5. This required a steady hand on the controls to keep the target in frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got some reasonable images of Jupiter with mine:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/209881-first-ever-jupiter/

Taken with an ASI120MC.

My only struggle as a newbie was the initial alignment but now I have taken the easy route and purchased the Starsense & Skysync accessories. I plonk it down, roughly level, set the OTA horizontal, wait a minute for GPS to set the time & loc, start the auto-align and wait about 4 mins - all aligned. This only applies to the Celestron 127 not the Skywatcher version.

Archived