Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I I've recently got into some casual observing using binoculars, until I've saved up for my first scope. I use the starwalk app and the scope nights app which i find really useful, but are there any other apps I'm missing out on that will further enhance my enjoyment?

Thanks

Gareth

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ISS Detector. Very useful to locate the ISS and some satellites. It will tell you the starting point, max °, time, magnitude... try it.

Astro panel for weather and observing conditions. (Just in case)

Enjoy. Best regards,

Garcia

Scope nights for weather

Double stars for ....erm....this one allows you to search by separation so you can find ones visible in binoculars

Jupiter moons

SkySafari

ObserverPro

Luminos

Sunrise Clock

Sat24.com for weather satellite images

That should keep you going :-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive now tried starwalk, skysafari and stellarium (ios). I think skysafari is my favourite due to the extra information it gives about constellations which is great for someone starting out. Got amazing views in the breacon beacons last night. Its a whole new ball game in truely dark skys. If anything thiugh it was harder to find things when there was so much to see.

Thanks for all the advice.

Looking at SkySafari and its many incarnations I am a bit worried about how good it actually is, I did find Mobile Observatory by Wolfgang Zima in the play store and that seems to be much better according to the reviews.

So many apps, some good some terrible :(

I just got the basic version of skysafari, the £20 version seems a little bit overkill. Very happy with the basic version, are the plus and pro versions any better, formthe huge price differences?

I just got the basic version of skysafari, the £20 version seems a little bit overkill. Very happy with the basic version, are the plus and pro versions any better, formthe huge price differences?

The Plus version lets you control a scope mount. Not necessarily with special cables or wireless devices but for instance via your house WiFi and a PC running EQMOD. Might be more difficult at a Dark Sky Site with no WiFi!

I just bought the SkySafari 4 Plus version for £4.84 (on sale price) and it has much more features than the basic version and has 2.5 million stars which is a shed more than the free or lower paid for versions, and having a look at it now reveals more detail which in turn will help me figure out what I am looking at instead of being confused by a mass of stars, it should help me to hop about more, I am using it on a S3 Mini and it works fine, in portrait mode the toolbar will no show all tools so you will have to slide them along, however in landscape mode all toolbars appear.

I also bought Stellarium for my S3 Mini and that freezes up now and again, what I do like though is how you can add the google account that the item was purchased with to another device and re-download it to that device, or use an app manager and back up the .apk file and save to to an SD card if you need to reinstall with no WiFi available as it is quite a big file of 302mb as on Data it will take some time to download.

Anyway I'm happy with it :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simulationcurriculum.skysafari4plus

The Pro version of Skysafari 4 is currently on sale at £12. Pushing what I'll pay for a mobile app. The clincher was that it shows the position of comets and asteroids. I don't think Stellarium mobile does this yet.

I do find its view of the sky more accurate on a phone screen than Stellarium as well.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I have SkySafari (plain jane version) on my Android phone. I like to use it on a clear night if i am away from my scopes and just want a casual wander around the night sky. I find it great. Its very accurate and there is no lag on it when you you aim it anywhere. Where you point the phone the app responds in real time (if you know what i mean). It only cost a couple of quid.

Archived