Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any ideas?

My friend is thinking of another scope. He was looking at a 150mm APO but the weight at 14KG could be too much for his SW NEQ 6 mount. He does a bit of visual but is more interested in taking the photographic route and new mounts are big, heavy and very expensive.

What scope would you advise for him, as he is a Dealer he can get good discounts so even the top draw scopes are in the frame, my idea was for him to get either the APM Lzos 105mm, which is a fabulous scope or something around 130mm which will sort of satisfy his large APO hunger but be lighter.

Alan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swag72,

Good God they make my APM look cheap. I don't think he has any contact with that company due to the price tags but they are very good I am sure. I believe they have the same optices as the APM's so the rest of the scope must be bomb proof.

Arron,

14kg would be about you top limit for photography on that mount but it would not be a problem for visual, normal rule is about 2/3rds of max

Alan

Alan, in my very limited scope knowledge, I would say the Officina Stellare suggested by Sara is an excellent choice, considering the requirement of triplet, weight, maybe the build quality too. The price is not that high either, if we look at the price differences between 110 triplet and 130 tripplet. It's just like everything else, more requirements more costly.

Carina,

I think once all the bits are added it will be more like 17KG, I also do not believe these figures that SW give out, I have a HEQ 5 pro which is meant to be rated at 15 or there abouts and in my books it would stuggle at 10kg for any form of photography, the other thing that is very important it how long the scope is as well. Thanks for the imput though.

Alan

The APM  Lzos 130mm/780 CNCII comes in at 10Kg.

I'm a little bias when it comes to APM's though :grin: .  I did initially have an EQ6 pro and my APM  kinda swamped it, bit slower than the one above.

And if your friend can get substantial discount tell him to pick up the APM LZOS 152 CNCII at the same time, I'll take his arm off and leave him in profit :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Michael,

It is a very good one suggestion and I have passed it on, it is also that tiny bit closer to to the 150mm that he was really wanting. In my view so close as not to really matter.

Alan

I have the benefit of having seen one up close and the visual views are brilliant. It performs well above its aperture. The focuser although their own design performs as well as a feathertouch (it even looks like one). It is a oil spaced triplet. Imaging-well what can i say it is a 140 triplet. if necessary a flatner reducer could be used. It is Graham Darke's you could pm him with any further info needed. BUT all you have to do is see what Olly thinks of his.

The gloriously marketing-free TEC 140 (no anodized red waiting to turn pink, no carbon waiting to give stripped thread issues) will be happily handled by the NEQ6. While this image was not taken on our NEQ6 it could have been. I do know this for sure.

M42%20TEC140%20LRGB%20N%20up%20web-X2.jp

Full resolution; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2997816646&k=RPwBkSM&lb=1&s=O

I like the TEC140. Don't expect to see ours for sale in the near future...

Olly

Olly,

Absolutely superb photo, it could have been taken by Hubble and I would not know the difference, well done.

The TEC 140 is a hell of a scope and as I said is close enough to the 6 inch that he wants but without the added weight.

Lardy,

I agree the 130mm APM was my first suggestion to him , these too are excellent scopes and I am sure as good as any on the market, I think at this level it is difficult to far wrong.

Alan.

Another interesting thing about the TEC is the way it handles Alnitak. It is far better then either of my Tak FSQs (85 and 106) on this star. The images below are, left, the linear stack and , right, a pure log stretch of that data. Alnitak has had no differential processing whatever, no layering, no masking, nothing. I think this is quite remarkable. You normally expect a huge exploding blob!

Olly

Alnitak%20TEC140-L.jpg

Olly,

Impressive, I don't really know very much about astronomical photograghy even though I have won competions for the pure form of the subject. I wonder what sort of a job it would do on Sirius, there does not seem to be a great deal of lightscatter for want of a better word around the star you talk of, control look ecceptional, but then you clearly know what you are doing.

Alan

Olly,

Impressive, I don't really know very much about astronomical photograghy even though I have won competions for the pure form of the subject. I wonder what sort of a job it would do on Sirius, there does not seem to be a great deal of lightscatter for want of a better word around the star you talk of, control look ecceptional, but then you clearly know what you are doing.

Alan

I didn't need to know what I was doing. I just focussed and exposed. The scope did the rest.

Olly

Olly,

Doesn't this more have to do with the Anti-Blooming gate on the Kodak sensors you use?

Not at all. The same camera in our other scopes will not see Alnitak controlled in this way. Besides, my understanding of anti-blooming gates is that they prevent vertical bleed lines from stars rather then general circular bloat around the core.

Olly

Archived