Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Rowe-Ackermann F/2.2 Astrograph!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I'd love to know are price and how it performs in use - but that will have to wait for images from early adopters. 70mm illuminated image circle and F/2.2 imaging (with 11" of aperture!) is very tempting.

Although, I'm almost certain that some will be put off by diffraction spikes ;).

I don't think it will cause spikes like a |Newtonian and it has a corrector plate so no visible support for the CCD Camera.....

You're going to need a cable to connect the camera - so diffraction spikes. If using a mono camera where does the filterwheel go?

ChrisH

Thank-you Grant for pulling the information together and making it available so soon  :icon_salut:

We are expecting prices early next week and probably delivery ETAs too. We'll post them here as soon as we know :smiley: 

Steve

So what's the difference between this and simply putting a hyper star lens on a C11 or suchlike?

Good point. Still an interesting piece of kit. Reminds me of the old Schmidt cameras they used to market. These featured a special film holder which curved the film to match the curvature of the image plane.

I was looking round the FLO web site and saw this :)  My immediate reaction was - I want one :D  BUT yes, how do you use it?  - the imager needs to be very slim!  My Atik 460EX is moderately slim but the EFW2 certainly isn't.  As has been said "How do you use a filter wheel?"  Is it limited to an OSC camera?  Hard as I try, my imagination just won't stretch to getting a FW of any sort into that space! :(

With an EQ8 mount with it's weight handling ability etc. I am looking at possible long term upgrade scopes.  With the atmosphere we have in this country it's no good going for a longer focal length but extra light gathering would be most welcome.  In my case this cannot be a 2014 upgrade as I'm still paying for last year's splurg but looking into the future and possible better kit raises the old spirits.  I guess a couple of nights back into AP has raised my aspirations again (they had dropped to rock bottom!).

I was looking round the FLO web site and saw this :)  My immediate reaction was - I want one :D  BUT yes, how do you use it?  - the imager needs to be very slim!  My Atik 460EX is moderately slim but the EFW2 certainly isn't.  As has been said "How do you use a filter wheel?"  Is it limited to an OSC camera?  Hard as I try, my imagination just won't stretch to getting a FW of any sort into that space! :(

With an EQ8 mount with it's weight handling ability etc. I am looking at possible long term upgrade scopes.  With the atmosphere we have in this country it's no good going for a longer focal length but extra light gathering would be most welcome.  In my case this cannot be a 2014 upgrade as I'm still paying for last year's splurg but looking into the future and possible better kit raises the old spirits.  I guess a couple of nights back into AP has raised my aspirations again (they had dropped to rock bottom!).

I guess you are Limited to using a manual single filter drawer, as these have a very small footprint.

The HyperStar lens assembly includes an adapter internally threaded for fitting filters up to 2" diameter depending on the model, the only drawback is that it is necessary to remove the camera to change filters, which sounds a pain but is not actually a big deal in practice.

I don't like handling or exposing the filters any more than absolutely necessary for fear of getting marks or dust on them, so having to do that a dozen times a night would put me right off. A OSC camera would be the only way to go with this but then you would miss out on narrow band.

ChrisH

Archived