Narrowband

New eyepiece and case

Steve_meg

Over the last few weeks I have been upgrading my eyepieces from the celestron zoom I have. Managed to get the four eyepieces and Barlow on eBay and then the case from Maplin.

Looks a bit bare but happy so far. Didn't cut a space for my zoom as I decided to sell it.

IMAG0053_zpsvri2fuza.jpg

I managed to try the eyepieces briefly on Jupiter and the moon, here is my limited thoughts.

26mm Meade 4000- got it for £14 so wasn't expecting much. However I was suprised how clear and bright the views are. Performed better than the 25mm celestron excel I owned.

20mm uwa- first impression of just picking up the eyepiece was how weighty and well built it felt. Performed much the same as the bst eyepieces I have used, pluses been the wide fov and comfort of my eye position. However I did notice what seemed like glare reflecting inside the eyepiece from time to time.

12.5 celestron Halloween plossl- to be honest I only got this as it was £12 and looked cool. However I was shocked by how well is performed. It allowed through a lot more light than I was expecting and really did give a clear , detailed image of Jupiter and is more suited to this Dr to the narrow fov. Only thing I would mention is that some people might not get on with the design as it has no eyecup.

8mm tv plossl- I was very excited when putting this in as I have heard good things about tv plossls. And now I know why. Although I was shocked how narrow the fov was, just fitting Jupiter in the eyepiece, the crisp bright view was amazing. I have previously used a 8mm bst and 8mm on my zoom and found it hard to get a good image at this focal length, so really happy that the tv performed so well. Views of the moon were much the same, amazing. The eye relief is short meaning seeing the whole fov was practically impossible, however as this is more suited to up close planetary work it didn't matter. Another thing to note was the build quality. For example threading in a filter was so much easier and smoother than in others.

Hope my thoughts kind of make sense

Hi Steve, looks and sounds good, I went pretty much the same way as you, but have now got into widefields and eyepieces with good eye relief.  Keep experimenting, that's what I did and it gave me a lot of experience.  There's plenty more room in your ep case!

It was good having a range of different eyepieces to compare. I was just going to buy a range of bst eyepieces but didn't want to feel like I was missing out.

After using the tv plossl I'm glad, the quality was outstanding. Unfortunately it gave me the tv bug and I have just got a brand new 17.3mm delos at a bargain price.

Looking forward to the delos arriving, hopefully it will ease the pain in my wallet!

The 8 TV is a great planetary eyepiece - a match for good orthoscopics to me. I normally turn down the rubber eye cup and it's much easier to view with.  Hope you enjoy the delos !

andrew 

Ditto, I'm enjoying my 8mm TV plossl, very crisp, very bright.

Nothing wrong with the 26mm meade 4000 plossl either mind you!

The tv plossl really is good, very happy with it. I was a bit worried about getting a 8mm after the bst struggled

The 26 did shock me as well and for £14!

Can't wait to get the delos to compare against. Although now I'm not sure if it's worth keeping the 20mm eyepiece now

Its great to hear how much you like the view from the TV Plossl, reading about others thoughts is fantastic. Congrats on your Delos, be nice to read your thoughts on it.

The tv plossl really did surprise me. For my 8" act it is perfect for planetary work. Unfortunately although it's clear tonight I haven't got time to try the delos.

Still shocked by the size, just looking at the lense it's massive, can see where the wide fov comes from.

Red the case was from Maplin, £24.99 really happy with it.

Got to use my delos last night and was blown away by the fov. Viewed Jupiter and mars, and while focal length (17.3) meant the magnification wasn't that high, you could clearly see the markings of Jupiter.

Next I viewed one of my favourite DSO, m13. The delos managed to pick out so many stars in the cluster with great clarity. This was greatly accompanied by the fov, which really let me views m13 in its surrounding sky.

Unfortunately both my friend's and my celestron go-to were acting more like go-near so couldn't locate anything else.

But my first impression was the delos outperformed all of my other eyepieces, including tv plossl, by leaps and bounds. So things in this hobby cost a lot and end up making such a little difference compared to their price tag.

However the delos is worth every penny, even more so as I got it new for £170

Congratulations on your new Delos  :smiley:

As Joves says it can be a slippery slope having a single really excellent eyepiece in your collection. I think many folks think "I'll just get the one really nice one" and find a few months later that they have a box full and an empty bank account :rolleyes2:

When you start out in this hobby and spring £1K for a nice scope you would think it madness to suggest that you might spend as much again or even more on eyepieces. But I guess you can see how that can happen now !

congrats on the Delos, one of those is on my list, be it a 14 or 17.5mm is still being debated in my head. :smiley:

There was a time I thought spending 47 pounds on a BST would be my limit, at the time having a scope that was 130 pounds new that was a good fit, now though 100 - 200 is more often the budget, slippery slope indeed. :grin:  

Archived