Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from the Laurentians, Quebec

steagathebeach

Hello (or 'Bonjour' or 'Salut' where i come from), i was googling eyepieces and ended up in the forum, lots of info thanks! I've had an Orion Xt8 dob for 4 months and finally winter is over here (been brutal) i can start gazing, i've taken it out 4 times and am quite done with the 25mm plos it came with.

Is it me or am i the only one to spend a few hours reading and researching eyepieces? Need a better eyepiece for this summer so after considering EP kits over a real good one i've narrowed down to an TV ethos 13mm or a top EP kit

Goodnight (or 'Bonsoir' where i come from)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL.

I spent a fair bit of time researching eyepieces before I setteled on the Baader Zoom and the Panaview.

Next step up is to get some Televue Eyepieces in the next year or so.

Avtar

Welcome to SGL.  If I'm not actively observing, I'm reading about astronomy, talking about astronomy, researching astronomy, organising some astro meet or event or simply pouring over astro ads pondering gadgets connected to astronomy.  Obsessed?  Probably, but we all are on here :grin:

Hi Steagathebeach and welcome to SGL. If I remember correctly, AstroBaby has done a visual report on the 13mm 100° Explore Scientific, which you may like to look up, this was added to her kit some time ago. It has to be said that it is not an Ethos TeleVue, which has many devotees. However, quality and observational differences between the two optics, has most often resulted in very little to choose between the two of them, the only major difference is, of course, the price. I only mention this just in case you had no included this make of EP in your research. Speaking of EP kits, there are many who would not recommend them, as after a certain time you may find that some of the optics you never use, some go as far as to say, the only thing left of the original kit will be the case. Food for thought perhaps, enjoy your Astronomy :) 

Heya from Norway. We really didnt have any winter here, compared to previous years, and I`m one of those who really like those cold crisp winterdays.

Anyways I purchased a second hand Orion XT8i last week, and last night was the first proper test on moon and planets.

I only use the Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom with the 2.25 barlow. Suits me fine, I dont care much for changing eyepieces all the time and

this combo gives me 50x - 336x.

The Hyperion Zoom, and the telescope, was very very good on Jupiter, Moon and Mars. Even a very very low Saturn

was an impressive sight, I finally managed to see the Cassini division and the "marble" surface on the planet itself.

Zooming instead of changing eyepieces to find the best magnification increases my time of observing, which is why im out there in the first place.

However I have only compared it with stock eyepieces so I really dont know it performs compared to other quality eyepieces.

(And I must state that I am a total novice so I would not listen to my advice anyhow....)

But now I want to add a 32mm eyepiece wide field, so there you go, I`ve got the range of 3,5mm - 25mm well covered and I still want more.

Regards

Rune

Hi Steagathebeach and welcome to SGL. If I remember correctly, AstroBaby has done a visual report on the 13mm 100° Explore Scientific, which you may like to look up, this was added to her kit some time ago. It has to be said that it is not an Ethos TeleVue, which has many devotees. However, quality and observational differences between the two optics, has most often resulted in very little to choose between the two of them, the only major difference is, of course, the price. I only mention this just in case you had no included this make of EP in your research. Speaking of EP kits, there are many who would not recommend them, as after a certain time you may find that some of the optics you never use, some go as far as to say, the only thing left of the original kit will be the case. Food for thought perhaps, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Hi...you are right and is why i didn't go the EP kit route, i didn't want to end up with unused equipment so i have ordered the Ethos 13mm, was a hard choice because of the price but hours of research channelled down to it. It won't go unused. As for Exp Scientific, i considered them but i take such good care of my things i went all out.

welcome to SGL, you wont regret getting the TV ethos

Hi, I ordered the Ethos 13mm, was a hard choice because of the price but seeing it as a lifetime investment the decision became easier with every additional review read and seeing the words 'you won't regret the Ethos' over and over again helped, thanks.

Archived