Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IP Software?

DaveS

Trying to decide on the most cost-effective image-processing software. I'll be using APT / PHD / EQMOD for guiding and capture, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I'll be moving to a CCD camera / filter wheel set up rather than DSLR.

So far I've considered:

PixInsight

MaximDL IP version

Astroart

Star Tools

I guess that I'll get as many different opinions as replies (Assuming anyone replies, but hopefully a consensus will emerge. I dont want to buy several different programs, and don't have any CCD data to test a trial version with, all I have on disk are some poor quality DSLR raw and TIFF files.

My money is on AstroArt V5.

It will control all your cameras for acquisition and guiding, do all the normal pre-processing and post processing you'll ever need.

Bang per buck - a good solution.

Yeah, AstroArt is near the top of my list, but as I already have guiding / acquisition and goto software I would be duplicating functions.

Star Tools perhaps?

Hmmmm

I stand corrected.

The APT webpage says:

•Support for four generations of Canon EOS Models. Check the models matrix page for details

•Support for ASCOM compatible CCD cameras - QHYCCD, Starlight Xpress, Atik, Orion, Moravian and more

•Native support for QSI cameras

So I think Star tools may be my best bet.

I'll be running the processing software on my big workstation, while the capture / guiding / goto side is on my laptop by the 'scope, and I don't want to be paying for stuff I won't use.

I understand.

I run AA5 on the observatory laptop and link via TeamViewer to the office machine, which also runs AA5 for the processing.

That way, for me anyway, I only need to "learn" the one package, whether all the features are used or not.

I think that, when (If more like) I build and equip an obsy with a warm / computer room then AA5 might be my best bet, but as my workstation is indoors, and the laptop by the 'scope, I'll keep the software separate for the time being.

Yes, I'll be staying with APT for all my capture, guiding (With PHD) side.

Now, I thought ST did stacking but I'm not sure now can't find any mention of it or controls on the trial version.

I'm using DSS, but not too enamoured with it, so what would be a better bet?

All right, all right, I'll have a look at it! :grin:

If it does stacking as well then it may be worth the outlay, even if I won't be using the guiding / capture functions.

What I also find about AstroArt is the great support and assistance from Fabio and the team.

They have made some significant enhancements to the program to assist as poor guys working in spectroscopy...I'm not sure MAXIM would be as responsive.

The AstroArt forum is the place to visit-

http://www.astroartforum.net/forum/forum.php

Fitswork4 and iris are both free IP software that will stack as well. But they're not exactly what you call user friendly.

I use dss for all my stacking and get on quite well with it. I then use photoshop for processing. Any reason you missed PS from your list?

Russell,

Photoshop here in Australia was over $1,000!!

Now I believe you have to take out an annual licence........

And now they even have an offer for just $9,99 a month!

I immediately jumped on it, as I found the initial $19,99/month too high. Adobe seem to have gotten the Message, as now it´s actually attractive.

Just to make a comparison. Before you paid $800 to $1000 upfront for Photoshop, now With $9,99/month it will take me 8 years at least before I reach that amount of Money.

Not even taking into account the $300-$400 bi-anual Upgrade prices to the latest Version, which is now included in the $9,99/month as well.

In all honesty (and I am sure I am not alone in this) I could never afford a "legal" fullblown version of Photoshop before and now I can for just $9,99/month.

Archived