Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Combining RGBL images, help please

Hi, was hoping for some help with processing some images I have made of Jupiter.  I took four CCD videos on Friday night through RGBL filters.  I have stack all of the videos individually using Registax 6, and performed the wavelet bit as usual (used the same setting for all four videos).  So I now have four images, labeled R, G, B & L, but I am struggling to work out what to do next.  I have got Adobe photoshop elements 12, but I understand that this is of no use to me :(.  I have download a demo version of Startools, and when I select the four images in the RGBL bit, the images are not quite properly aligned, so it does not work.  I have tried using photoshop the crop the four images of Jupiter so all four images are the same size, with the hope that a round object will be aligned, but Startools is saying that the dimensions of the bitmap are different and it won't let me go any further.  I think that Startools is just going to be too complicated for me, so I need to look for some thing else.  Is there any program which will allow me to both align and combine these RGBL images?

Cheers,

Dave

don't think Pixinsight will let you align them though.  For aligning, try PIPP, which is free, load your four files as source data, set it to align and crop, and set the output as tiff, should give you four output tiffs with the planet in the middle, which you can then combine in Pixinsight

Thanks stuart, I have ordered a trial license for pixinsight and am waiting approval on that, so I will get PIPP while I wait for that.  So to summarise:-

I capture the image with the iNova software;

stack it with Registax6,

align and crop the four RGBL images with PIPP

combine them with pixinsight.  

Beginning to wish I had bought a colour CCD :D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

sorry, but I can just not work any of this out :(.  I have got some reasonable looking images when I use Registax 6 to process the ser files outputted from my camera, but I am just lost on how to combine these RGBL images to get a colour picture.  PIPP seems to need to use AVI files, so i can not get it to recognise my ser files. I have lost count of the number of u tubes videos I have watched, but I am not getting any closer.  I think I need to go on a course or something to learn how to do this sort of thing properly.  Does anyone know of any suitable courses which are run in the Hampshire area?

Cheers,

Dave :)

Hi, was hoping for some help with processing some images I have made of Jupiter.  I took four CCD videos on Friday night through RGBL filters.  I have stack all of the videos individually using Registax 6, and performed the wavelet bit as usual (used the same setting for all four videos).  So I now have four images, labeled R, G, B & L, but I am struggling to work out what to do next.  I have got Adobe photoshop elements 12, but I understand that this is of no use to me :(.  I have download a demo version of Startools, and when I select the four images in the RGBL bit, the images are not quite properly aligned, so it does not work.  I have tried using photoshop the crop the four images of Jupiter so all four images are the same size, with the hope that a round object will be aligned, but Startools is saying that the dimensions of the bitmap are different and it won't let me go any further.  I think that Startools is just going to be too complicated for me, so I need to look for some thing else.  Is there any program which will allow me to both align and combine these RGBL images?

Cheers,

Dave

Your images will have to be aligned and probably derotated  too. StarTools will not allow unregisterd or misaligned images to be loaded. Pixinsight as far as I can tell only align DSO images using Star Alignment. As advised use  PIPP and see what happens. You can also use photoshop and do the lot manually.

A.G

Your images will have to be aligned and probably derotated  too. StarTools will not allow unregisterd or misaligned images to be loaded. Pixinsight as far as I can tell only align DSO images using Star Alignment. As advised use  PIPP and see what happens. You can also use photoshop and do the lot manually.

A.G

I have tried, unfortunately, it is just too complicated for me.  This is why I was asking if anyone new of any courses in the south of England where someone actually shows you how to use it.  I think a bit of the problem here is to most people on here, this stuff is just simple / easy and they do not understand that some of us do not know how to do it.  I have spent along time trying to get PIPP to work with the files I have got and each time I get this message:-

PIPP1_zpsf991271c.jpg

I have gone into Processing Options and tried loads of variations in Object Detection Threshold and Minimum Object Size, but always get the same message.  If you know what you are doing it is probably one minutes effort to find the tick box I have not got ticked, but if you do not know what you are doing, it is incredibly frustrating. NB.  There is definitely something there, because when I process it in Registax 6 I get this:-

J5-Red_Crop_zpsd3b5ab43.jpg

Anyone got any suggestions what else I might try with this / suggest a simpler program (which does not cost £565 like photoshop) or, ideally, if there were a course where you can go and learn how to do this sort of thing with a expert sitting over your shoulder to show you where you are going wrong.  Honestly, I am not an idiot, I just do not know how to use these programs yet.........

AstroArt is easy to use (for this job anyway).  You first load all the frames, then run 'Align All', then create an RGB with the colour images. Then you can add in the Luminance by selecting the RGB you created and clicking on the LRGB option and selecting the luminance file to add. Colour balance and white bias etc are done at the same time with automatic options if desired, or manual if you want to tweak the settings. It doesn't get any easier, although there are some Photoshop actions available which will combine RGB and LRGB images I have not had much luck with them.

ChrisH

For creating LRGB images of planets you can use WinJUPOS too (free) and it will also time-align each channel which for Jupiter may have a big impact on the final image. PIPP is not needed - stack and process every channel as you want to and then use winjupos to make the final color images. I never used Photoshop, pixinsight or other alike for this. Things like AstroArt may not work nicely for a planet.

For DS imaging quite handy is Nebulosity (although not free) which also can do RGB/LRGB and align/derotate on stars.

After a lot more messing around with PIPP I finally got something out of it.  Combining with pixinsight was surprisingly easy.  Will try Chris & riklaunim suggestions at a later date, but just happy that I have finally managed to get some colour snaps of Jupiter, even if the colours are a bit screwy :)

J2CombinedRBG_zps8488bafb.jpg

J3CombinedRBG_zps4ce43b52.jpg

J5CombinedRBG_zps4866a77d.jpg

Its dead easy in Photoshop.

Load the three separate RGB files.

Make sure that they are Grey scale (on the menu bar Image>Mode>Greyscale

Go to the Channels palette (on the menu bar Window>Channels)

In the upper right corner of the Channels palette is a drop down (it looks like 4 horizontal lines beside a triangle) Click that and select Merge Channels

In the pop-up change the dropdown to RGB and Click OK.

The next window just make sure that the correct data sets are in each of the RGB sections.

To align the resulting image use the Channels palette again. Select the channel that you want to move. Select the move Move Tool (V on the keyboard). Then use the arrow keys to nudge the channel.

Archived