SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The New Astro Zone System for Astro Imaging

I've recently been wrestling with 17 hours of data on M106 which has tested both my processing skills and patience. There is certainly a need for more exposure time (isn't there always?) but I also felt that I had hit the limit of my processing knowledge when trying to get the best out of what is a very challenging object.

I normally do the bulk of my processing in Pixinsight, and just apply minor touches in Photoshop. I have spent the morning (and most of the afternoon) processing the image again using Photoshop and just a bit of PI. I think this improved the image no end, but also made me realize again how much I have to learn in Photoshop.

I had a scout around and picked up a copy of Ron Wodaski's New Astro Zone System for Astro Imaging for $30 on Amazon.com. Has anyone else read through this book and put it in to practice? I believe it is held in regard so hope that it going to expand my processing skills no end!!

I've got the book John - I think it's excellent and really break stuff down into manageable and understandable parts. His whole ethos is using micro curves and it really cements much of what you probably already know.

I have read it, but could probably do with going back to it. There's so much information in there. The screen grabs are clear and easy to follow. All in all, an excellent addition to any imagers book shelf.

I don't have the book but have worked through some of Wodaski's zone processing tutorials and they are very good indeed. It is certainly a book I would consider purchasing.

Hi,

Just picked up this thread (been on hols :smiley: )

I've got the book and like Sara says it's goes into detail about the science without the waffle, theory and fundamental claptrap. 

I contacted the ccd-newastro group regards the dvd and Ron Wodaski contacted me personally regarding downloading the DVD contents.

Would I buy it again. Yes, it's definitely made me capable of going it alone with levels and curves without referring to tried & tested methods

such as Neal Heacock's guide.

Steve

Having read this thread, I've just found the book on Amazon.com and it costs about £25 inc delivery to the UK from the States. Not bad for a book which was originally $99 - I have a copy on the way.

http://www.amazon.com/NewAstro-Zone-System-Astro-Imaging/dp/0971123756

and the DVD content is available here: http://zone.tzecmaun.org/

My initial impression of this book is *excellent*. I have instantly improved my image processing even with just an hour or so looking at some of the techniques. I will never use Pixinsight for stretching data *ever* again!!

Hopefully it is possible to see the improvements in processing I made after just an hour or so working with my recent M51 data in the screen grab below showing a side by side of before and after the "zone system"

post-5640-0-44961300-1396133355_thumb.jp

Right hand side is smoother in the dark bits and sharper in the bright bits, just like it is supposed to be :)

I think I might have to get that book after all. I have been through a couple of the short Zone processing tutorials from the AIC presentations so if there is extra detail or explanations in the book it will be well worth it.

The best imagers do understand the 'theory and fundamental claptrap' but they don't waffle and they don't think that knowledge is claptrap. I think that Wodaski gets it about right. Poor fella, you can't please everybody!

If the only thing you took from Wodaski was that different parts of an image need different processing (the 'zone system') then quite honestly, I think you would go away wiser and equipped with the number one idea in image processing. How you set about it is your business but that one idea is key. My own interpretation of the idea is stone age but until I feel a need to change it I'll continue to potter away. In order to 'zone system' your images you need either layers or masks. I know which I prefer!!!

:grin: lly

The best imagers do understand the 'theory and fundamental claptrap' but they don't waffle and they don't think that knowledge is claptrap. I think that Wodaski gets it about right. Poor fella, you can't please everybody!

If the only thing you took from Wodaski was that different parts of an image need different processing (the 'zone system') then quite honestly, I think you would go away wiser and equipped with the number one idea in image processing. How you set about it is your business but that one idea is key. My own interpretation of the idea is stone age but until I feel a need to change it I'll continue to potter away. In order to 'zone system' your images you need either layers or masks. I know which I prefer!!!

:grin: lly

Indeed it matters not what you call it - the "zone system" or the "otters paw method" so long as the fundamental basics are the same.

Wodaski presents the information and ideas in a nice easy to understand way with lots of helpful illustrations. What he has done is drawn me away from Pixinsight to Photoshop - now there are still processes in PI which I will always go back to - colour calibration, DBE and SCNR but I feel like a whole new raft of possibilities and control has opened up after spending a little time with this book.

• 8 months later...

Having read this thread, I've just found the book on Amazon.com and it costs about £25 inc delivery to the UK from the States. Not bad for a book which was originally $99 - I have a copy on the way.

http://www.amazon.com/NewAstro-Zone-System-Astro-Imaging/dp/0971123756

and the DVD content is available here: http://zone.tzecmaun.org/

I have also ordered a copy should be here in January.

I had a look at the tutorials on a Win 8.1 system but they did not run for long before they crashed out. The link to flash 8 has 7 versions in it. I have tried 2 versions in a win xp system but I could not play the movies. Has anyone else worked out a method?

I have Dreamweaver 4 on that system so can play each movie inside the development screen but it would be nicer to play them directly .

Andy

Archived